Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

8 Likes

So Harvard decided to mandate the new bivalent booster shot for all students, but not for faculty and staff.

Personally I’m with Dr. Paul Offit on this one, and don’t think it’s appropriate to mandate it for anyone at this time, for a variety of reasons. But if you are going to mandate it, why wouldn’t you want to include faculty and staff as well? Currently the virus is much more dangerous to older folks than to the student-age population, so faculty are more likely to benefit from it.

9 Likes

Personally, I’m all for mandatory COVID vaccines for everyone who doesn’t have a real medical reason to not have one, with harsh and comprehensive penalties for the refusees. Perhaps it’s a good thing I’m not in charge, though.

10 Likes

Yes, but there are certainly a lot of medical experts who were in favor of mandates for the primary vaccine series who are not in favor of mandates for the newest bivalent booster, at least at this time. Opinions will differ but, like I said, I’m with Dr. Paul Offit on this one.

And by exempting faculty the Harvard policy seems specifically designed to annoy both the pro and anti mandate folks.

3 Likes
8 Likes

How could anyone have seen this coming?

14 Likes
11 Likes

19 Likes

We’ve become well acquainted with the issues of melanin and pulse ox reading. How about melanin and no-touch thermometers? “Shocking revelations, we are deeply affected!”*

18 Likes
12 Likes
14 Likes

Horrible.

Modern warfare? Cannon fodder is now Covid fodder.

14 Likes

When Biden said “the pandemic is over,” I think he was right, but not in the way he meant. We are no longer treating it as abnormal. Covid killing scores of people daily is the new normal, and it seems a whole lot of folks are OK with that. We shall see what happens this winter, with flu coming raging back after a couple years of being a nonfactor, and covid most certainly still doing it’s thing. But I gotta say, as a medical professional, acceptin this situation as normal SUCKS.

24 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

14 Likes

True.

8 Likes

Who gets a ventilator? And what happens if a conservative makes that decision about the value of your life?

12 Likes

Not the result I expected. I don’t think anyone would have thought that 'be a black woman ’ would be the route to better treatment.

12 Likes

And of course being transgender is a death sentence in the US healthcare system.

15 Likes

11 Likes
9 Likes