Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

I really need to stop reading articles like this, it doesn’t help my germaphobia anxiety. I’ve been weirded out by germs long before covid.

4 Likes

Oral / GI transmission of covid has never really become much of a thing. Relative dearth of ACE receptors in the GI tract, plus the infection precautions built into it make this a less desirable route for the virus to take. I guess if you are a tomato-sniffer or handle produce then pick your nose, it’s a possibility. Also, if so, please avoid my grocery stores!

21 Likes

The real root cause here is that the conventional medical establishment is (a) inaccessible for a large majority of the population, and (b) extremely dismissive of a wide variety of health concerns even if it is accessed. Because of this lack of support, people turn to “alternative” sources to get care and support. It’s not just vaccine information, either - I bet that most American women have at least one, and possibly multiple, stories of being blown off by medical professionals when they had real and legitimate concerns. There’s a reason why most of the people going to those “wellness” resources are women.

It takes a lot of relevant education and critical thinking skills to actually be able to “do your own research”, and most people can’t. And their doctors (if they even have one) sure aren’t doing it for them. Hence - a wide swath of the population falling for whatever snake oil antivax garbage the Russians cook up next.

2 Likes

I really, really want to argue with you about this, but i really, really can’t. There is a huge amount of sexism, racism and classism baked into the medical system. That said, the root cause is much more a culture of grifters and snake oil salespeople who have found a lucrative bunch of marks. Throw in a heaping helping of contempt for education and knowledge, and you have a beautiful set up for this crap. The counterweight should be an easily accessible and respectful medical system, but we’ve covered that.

18 Likes
16 Likes

My wife said she saw a lot more masks today at the grocery store on people of all ages. We’re in Michigan.

Think they’re paying attention?

11 Likes

Link for those interested in reading the study without going through Twitter:

10 Likes

from that snippet:

using COVID-19 vaccination to kill people. There’s no evidence for this theory.

i wish the english speaking world could get away from calling these things “a theory”. it gives it - to my ears - way more weight than it deserves. as if it’s a considered, rational body of thought

… and then to say “there’s no evidence”. it doesn’t rise to the level of something that could have evidence in the first place. and using that phrasing conveys the idea that maybe someday it could

our language for talking about misinformation that’s being used for political or financial gain seems lacking

10 Likes

There’s no evidence for this theory

“This is unfounded speculation”

17 Likes

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

yes! that’s perfect. dear reporters of the world, please take note!

14 Likes

I am not sure, but I think that It is problema common to every language. This is a problem of the press, they usually write their headlines and texts this way. They avoid using assertive phrasing, stating that these stories are utter bullshit.

14 Likes

“made-up bullshit”

13 Likes

Or, we could be honest and just call it “unadulterated bullshit.” I would be very ok with that.

(ETA: A theme. I think we have one! :grinning: )

13 Likes

International Art English /s

5 Likes

:moneybag:

7 Likes

Not just Michigan. Using “unprecedented” to describe the surge after two years of the pandemic have already occurred is concerning.

13 Likes
6 Likes

I wonder what’s changed since 2021? Oh yeah, people have decided masks and basic precautions against respiratory illness aren’t needed anymore.

By comparison, nearly all states last year at this time were reporting low or moderate levels

10 Likes

COVID Data Tracker Weekly Review | CDC

8 Likes
14 Likes