Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

12 Likes
10 Likes

The employee said his supervisor also advised workers not to get tested so they could stay on the production line. Foxconn bans those with positive test results from production facilities and dormitories. A growing number of Covid-19 patients have been housed in facilities including a vocational school and an unfinished apartment complex, according to workers. Some workers said they were given sufficient food and medicine, while others complained of dirty toilets, food shortages, and a lack of medical care. Some employees told us that they were worried about losing income by taking sick leave.

In contrast to the panic triggered by the October outbreak, workers say coughing and fever have become common occurrences on the production lines. One 30-year-old new recruit, who also requested anonymity, told Rest of World he worked with a fever for two days as he waited for his Covid-19 test result last week. His managers also seemed sick, as they scolded slow workers in raspy voices. “They couldn’t even walk steadily,” the worker said. “Weren’t they Covid positive as well?”

At a crematorium in Beijing’s Tongzhou district on Wednesday, a Reuters witness saw a queue of around 40 hearses waiting to enter, while the parking lot was full.

Inside, family and friends, many wearing white clothing and headbands as is tradition, were gathered around roughly 20 coffins awaiting cremation. Staff wore hazmat suits. Smoke rose from five of the 15 furnaces.

There was a heavy police presence outside the crematorium.

Reuters could not verify whether the deaths were caused by COVID.

15 Likes
12 Likes

Just admitted a 4 week old with Covid. Haven’t seen that in a long time. n=1, of course, let’s hope this is not the start of a new thing. Hating hating hating this timeline.

25 Likes

Kids hanging out at the clubs obviously. When will they learn.

13 Likes

Our first :christmas_tree: :turkey: get-together in 3 years is cancelled: the remote family members got exposed to COVID, and fairly solidly. Turns out that their friend’s malady was not “just a cold”. :persevere:

This is a terribly minor complaint by any reasonable measure. Also, on the plus side, none of us will feel the need to travel in the storm that’s bearing down.

and at least I’d cheaped out and gotten the inorganic turkey.

COVID seems to be hitting our friends and acquaintances alarmingly often of late. Stay safe, everyone.

19 Likes

But the pandemic is over I was told.

14 Likes

I know what you’re saying, but for me it’s not supression, I just don’t think a human being could even survive really comprehending a million last breaths, who knows how many more millions bereaved, what they could have done, etc. IMHO of course.

6 Likes

We were going to have our daughter and husband over on Friday evening as long as they took a test but I’m still on the fence about the four of us masking.

They are both working from home and wear masks everywhere.

But in Michigan that storm is not looking good so maybe mother nature decides for me. We are about an hour apart, no sense risking an accident and making things harder for first responders and ER staff.

12 Likes

So, a robot turkey?

10 Likes

Kathy Bates Lies GIF

7 Likes

Today, the leader of “Yamato Q” (a Q Anon group in Japan whose claim to fame is antivax shit) was sentenced to 18 months in prison for an incident this March in which the group barged into a mass vaccination site (illegal entry) in an effort to stop people from getting vaccinated (obstruction of business, which is a crime in Japan because of the Yakuza).

Four other members of the group received sentences ranging from 10 months to 1 year.

14 Likes
13 Likes

Just when you think “stupider” isn’t a word. Sure, let’s put covid deniers in charge of hospitals. Of course, this is MoRon’s FL, where he literally put a covid denier in charge of public health. And yet he was just re-elected. Fucking a

15 Likes

Just as in the previous post, too many people want the freedom to get sick and spread their illness to as many other people as possible. If they are inconvenienced or harmed in any way, they will blame TPTB for failing to protect them. I hope the official response to that attitude includes the sentiment that they can’t have it both ways. Those who demand the freedom to be irresponsible will (maybe) live with the consequences of their actions.

If only there was a way to continue protection (quarantine, tracking, etc.) for those who acknowledge the problems and don’t want to be affected by those on Team Denial. Instead, they are being dragged - kicking and screaming - into more cycles of disaster that could have been prevented. Thinking about the cost of having to repeat this because of folks who refused to learn lessons the first time around gives me a headache. :weary:

14 Likes

Ugh, I know
 You get “we’re being really careful” just before the “we had a short visit, with our careful friends, who had it before” (um, so, :thinking: define “careful”) and the “so our friends did have COVID again, not a cold”. :man_facepalming:

All these little microcosms of cognitive biases, failures to understand risk, coupled with anything from corrupt to merely intellectually over-tasked government, foreign meddling, and domestic sabotage, up against a slow-moving disaster composed of random, low-level, catastrophes, while possessed of few available controls, all of which we have, collectively, used ineffectively.

Is it Friday yet? Feels like Friday
 felt like Friday yesterday too

Of course, @docosc puts my whinging to shame
 :slightly_frowning_face:

14 Likes

health freedom

tina fey what white nonsense is this GIF

But they are the party of “rugged individualism”

12 Likes

In my dreams
 The past few years have seemed like Eternal Monday to me. :scream:

10 Likes

Our daughter and her husband are the only people we trust when they tell us they are being careful.

She is concerned about my health so when she tells me she hasn’t been around people or tested negative I can take that to the bank.

We are so fortunate that she takes this stuff seriously and she found a husband on the same page.

Everyone else I assume is lying or so out of touch that they believe there is no reason to take precautions.

All that being said I made the executive decision to not meet in person but that’s mostly because of the storm.

We dropped of their presents and they gave us ours, on Sunday morning it’s Zoom meeting Christmas present opening on the big screen TV.

11 Likes