Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

Those COVID payments, rental assistance and loan forgivenesses really helped people.

17 Likes
14 Likes

WTF!?! I mean, masking in all patient care settings is simply a smart policy, even if COVID was well and truly gone. Gah, so dumb.

17 Likes

Frustrated Miss Piggy GIF

15 Likes

Always Sunny Mask GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

12 Likes

The Government of Japan has announced that they are relaxing the guidelines on the wearing of masks. From March 13, the wearing of masks (regardless of whether indoors or outdoors) will be a matter of “personal discretion.” If public opinion surveys are any indication, a good 50-60% of the population will continue to wear masks, but I imagine that the summer heat and humidity will bring that number down quite a bit.

10 Likes

Dr. Marge has spoke.

6 Likes

She should bring it up with this guy:

11 Likes

https://archive.ph/82g9p

14 Likes

Damn. Positive self-test result. Going to get a PCR tomorrow.

This morning, in a meeting, our head of department said that it felt awkward when last week, the mask mandate dropped in our workplace, “which was like the literal small Gallic village”.

Yeah. About this, boss

20 Likes

At 75 she’s in a very high risk group.

13 Likes
14 Likes
9 Likes

“Ebbs”

GTA - Greater Toronto Area :canada:

Wastewater is about the only semi-reliable indicator left here. That said, we shall see if our recent drop in hospitalization and death rates is sticky. I think the warm weather has helped. Our Sunday trip into Toronto saw about 25% of people masking, and at our local :cn: Cultural Center and MSS Regional Office it’s about 90%.

10 Likes

Lucky that you still have that data. Our county wastewater monitoring appears to have been discontinued as of Jan 1, so we have no reliable local indicators left. Hospitalizations fell by 40% here last week, but the same week’s death rate shows that’s because about half of them died.

9 Likes

COVID’s omicron variant, thought to be milder, can increase risk for diabetes

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/covids-omicron-variant-thought-to-be-milder-can-increase-risk-for-diabetes/?amp=1

14 Likes

From that Seattle Times article:

Rates of newly diagnosed diabetes, high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol were higher in the 90 days after COVID infection than the period before, according to a study of almost 24,000 patients during the period of omicron’s dominance from researchers at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, and vaccination appeared to help reduce these risks.

Through the omicron era, new diabetes diagnoses were nearly three times as common among unvaccinated people after infection than during the pre-infection period. High blood pressure, cholesterol and elevated levels of other blood fats were almost twice as common after infection among the unvaccinated. Among vaccinated people who got COVID, the risk of diabetes remained about the same before and after the infection, while the risk for other diseases decreased.

So that’s a bit more hopeful, for those of us who’ve been able/willing to receive vaccinations, at least

13 Likes

Although anecdotal, we have seen a dramatic increase in newly diagnosed diabetes in my practice. Can’t say anyone has tried to corrolate with covid cases, but it is not a stretch to see a connection.

13 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that, and really hope there isn’t a connection. Given Big Pharma’s track record, I get the feeling their reaction to this news will be
different. Those companies can prove me wrong by promoting development of cures more than treatments, though.

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/clinical-treatment-for-covid-19-market-is-set-to-see-revolutionary-growth-in-decade-2023-02-15

10 Likes

We really are on the verge of a functional artificial pancreas. It’s just a software question, and reliability question, at this point. Still, it sucks for the kids to suddenly have their whole future changed.

14 Likes