Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

So has said my brain doctor friend…

10 Likes

10 Likes

He apparently, sits in on autopsies for the county sometimes, and has noted how strange the brains look of covid patients who died… I’m not sure exactly what the problem was, but I think it speaks to how covid is not “just as flu” as some people seem to still believe…

15 Likes

Having had a mild case - I’m sitting here thinking of my now smaller brain rattling around in my skull.

16 Likes

I don’t know if that’s how it works! :brain: But it seems like this is just more evidence that covid was/is more dangerous than people are seeming to understand…

15 Likes

I think I hear it. I’m now a rhythm section.

12 Likes

brain GIF by University of California

Not Funny Wow GIF by Bounce

11 Likes

If we think of it as a vasculitic disease rather than a respiratory one, it makes more sense. Any place with blood vessels (yeah, that would be anywhere) can be affected. Human brains account for ~25% of our cardiac output, and if there is disruption to blood flow, it does not deal with it well. There is a whole new branch of medicine a-borning to deal with the long term impacts of this thing.

19 Likes

If nothing else, maybe that’s something good that will come out of this…

12 Likes

The long term impacts of many viral infections have long been blown off by conventional medicine as psychological, opening the door to many forms of woo, has been doing a severe disservice to many many patients. Maybe this will bring things like ME/CFS into the mainstream, and result in actual ways to treat.

20 Likes

I hope so… I think we know that our health care system has some real issues over and above the obvious issues we have in a for-profit system. I think many people find it too impersonal (which is certainly a by-product of being “for profit”) and far too many problems are dismissed by some doctors as “psychological” especially if they’re experienced by women or POC…

12 Likes

Spare a thought for our hard working rodent friends… :rat:

That was not on my bingo card today… :persevere:

14 Likes

Self-control? Why not go ahead and say that? I would.

22 Likes

I always answer that question with “I am a pediatrician. I swim in it daily and no one cares.” Never had them ask any follow-up questions after that.

22 Likes
19 Likes
19 Likes

The Cochrane Review ‘Physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses’ was published in January 2023 and has been widely misinterpreted.

Karla Soares-Weiser, Editor-in-Chief of the Cochrane Library, has responded on behalf of Cochrane: Many commentators have claimed that a recently-updated Cochrane Review shows that ‘masks don’t work’, which is an inaccurate and misleading interpretation.

It would be accurate to say that the review examined whether interventions to promote mask wearing help to slow the spread of respiratory viruses, and that the results were inconclusive. Given the limitations in the primary evidence, the review is not able to address the question of whether mask-wearing itself reduces people’s risk of contracting or spreading respiratory viruses.

18 Likes

In other words, because a critical ratio of the population are selfish assholes who won’t wear a mask even when we ask nicely, who are, coincidentally, also the people saying this study reached a conclusion it did not, interventions to increase mask wearing did not exhibit better outcomes.

19 Likes

Well summarized. IOW, assholes are the reason we are in the mess we are in. And they are bound and determined to make it worse. Free-dumb!!

16 Likes
16 Likes