Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

Dunno if it is concern about coronavirus or food allergy, but my kid’s elementary school is very strict about sharing food

5 Likes

Oh, wow, it didn’t strike me as a pattern until reading that, but my friends with kids have all been dealing with this, in various states.

This is so frustrating. We’ve seen even family spread is avoidable. I recently shared about my own experience and though I tested positive for 2 weeks, Mr. Linkey stayed uninfected. I started asking some of my friends in the building science field and anyone who’s gotten it has managed to avoid spreading it to their household. Because we know how it spreads. But friends in other industries have gotten their whole households sick.

10 Likes

Well, UVA has now dropped the requirement to be vaccinated against Covid for employees. This is a friggin’ health care institution! But our lovely Gov has set out to make sure we are all as sick as he can make us.

Angry Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

9 Likes

Is it, though? I have a hard time thinking of any of the big hospitals that way anymore. It feels more like they just try to keep us alive. They’re more a disease care institution. If they really cared about the health of the people they treat, they’d be requiring masks and vaccines this whole time.
This is not to disparage the work you and your team do in any way. I think you are a health care institution.

7 Likes

that’s sadly, true. It’s been pointed out often that we don’t have a healthcare system, for the reasons you stated. It’s incredibly frustrating to know that I could be doing fairly simple things to make kids’ lives healthier, but in our current system they are just not considered sufficiently profitable to support. And giving advice about healthy diet and activity to families that cannot afford real food and are scared to let their kids play outside just rubs me very wrong. Retirment is beckoning. Not sure how much longer I keep at this, but I will do my best until I can’t anymore.

12 Likes

Just saw this, because reporting on the subject is going like this :chart_with_downwards_trend::

7 Likes

Has there been discussion here about the emotional effects of the virus? I don’t mean the very real effects on caregivers and stuff, but more if there are significant effects that seem to be connected to having had it…?
I’m personally feeling a bit of a mess, just coming out of it, and anecdotally I’m not the only one, so wondering if, since it can mess with our taste and smell, and cause brain fog,…has anything been clinically documented about impact on the psyche in general?

7 Likes

Well, yes

But this is not looking at covid as causative.
There are indications that it is, though,.

Don’t know if that helps, but honestly i think it’s safe to say the virus can fuck with pretty much any and every organ system in the human body. It sucks in pretty much every way.

13 Likes
6 Likes

It does, thank you.
With, what, almost 20,000 posts now, I didn’t even know where to begin looking in the threads.
As with everything like this, it’s a bummer to find out more people are experiencing it, but it’s also nice to know one is not alone.

11 Likes

Wow, that’s really something!

6 Likes

Is there something like a digest of this? tl;dw - it sounds and looks like painful woo, tbh.

4 Likes

Oh my, you should have been there when I had my nasal polyps ground up and sucked out. :flushed:

8 Likes

Very few things in medicine really gross me out, but turbinate reductions and the like are very

Go Go Go Reaction GIF

9 Likes

The best part was when I sneezed after the procedure, covering my shirt in blood spray. That looked so great as I left the clinic. :+1:

8 Likes

Even the name sounds painful. The article has shown a patient who endured one year of this therapy…

Epipharyngeal Abrasive Therapy (EAT) is a Japanese treatment for chronic inflammation that involves rubbing the upper throat with a chemical-soaked cotton swab. EAT is gaining attention for its potential efficacy against long COVID and has been mentioned in the scientific journal Nature. Doctors are also using it on conditions with unknown causes after noticing inflammation in many patients’ throats. Our report provides the latest information on EAT.

Epipharyngeal Abrasive Therapy (EAT) is a Japanese treatment for chronic inflammation that involves rubbing the upper throat with a chemical-soaked cotton swab. EAT is gaining attention for its potential efficacy against long COVID and has been mentioned in the scientific journal Nature. Doctors are also using it on conditions with unknown causes after noticing inflammation in many patients’ throats. Our report provides the latest information on EAT.

10 Likes

Is it possible to first swab with local anesthesia? Seems like that would help the pain factor a lot, and be an easy first step.

ETA: small but crucial sentence construction error…deleted the leading “a”.

8 Likes

Oh yeah, even when I would go to the ENT just to inspect things, they have this little “poof” spray of anesthesia to numb the tissue.

9 Likes
6 Likes

Some interesting insights, particularly around the politics.

9 Likes