Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

Still no tourists, though.
#canIvisitNorthKorea

2 Likes

https://www.cancertherapyadvisor.com/home/cancer-topics/general-oncology/mask-mandates-have-kept-one-cancer-center-free-from-covid-19-others-have-lifted-masking-requirements-despite-patient-concerns/

Many US hospitals have lifted mask mandates, and, in some cases, this has led to COVID-19 outbreaks.1-3

City of Hope in Duarte, California, has maintained masking requirements, and this has prevented hospital-acquired COVID-19 there entirely, according to Vijay Trisal, MD, chief medical officer at City of Hope.

“Our policies enabled us to achieve zero nosocomial infections, zero outbreaks,” Dr Trisal said. “In a cancer hospital, that is critically important. We have no imminent plans to change our current policies.”

9 Likes
3 Likes

That’s probably not good, although if it is evolving to be more compatible with deer than humans, it might not be a bad thing for us.

9 Likes

The genetic surveillance landscape has eroded further since then. In a press conference Friday morning, Van Kerkhove highlighted that even basic reporting is failing. Of 234 countries and territories, WHO is now only getting case count data from 103 countries. Only 54 countries are reporting deaths, just 19 are reporting hospitalization rates, and 17 are reporting data on intensive care utilization.
“We don’t have good visibility on the impact of COVID-19 around the world,” she said.

Rage GIF

It’s like we’ve learned nothing. Or worse, that we’ve learned to ignore it and hope it goes away. Gaaahhhh!!!

8 Likes

Any idea if diseases that cross species (specifically from animals to us) that then cross back are more or less likely to cross back yet again? If that makes sense? In other words, are they more likely to be continually shifting between species? :thinking: I don’t know if any studies have been done on that topic.

11 Likes

Not to my knowledge. No infectious disease expert, me, but the whole concept of cycling from humans to zoonotics to humans repeatedly is something new, and a little worrisome to me. Mostly because it introduces more unknowns into an already pretty damned chaotic system. This is something a lot of parasites incorporate into their (very complex) life cycles, nothing I could find on tis specific topic.

11 Likes

I think that’s what I’m concerned about here
 Thanks!

12 Likes

Offs

The last line of the article says

“What this demonstrates is that Covid fundamentally changed how Americans look at vaccines,”

Covid didn’t do this.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4177294-majority-of-us-dog-owners-now-skeptical-of-vaccines-including-for-rabies-study/

7 Likes

Offs again. He is really dangerous.

If you can stomach him talking, this is scary and reason 4,576 why he can’t be president. The link goes to the video, you don’t need an account to watch it.

1 Like

wait, wasn’t he in the White House during most of the Covid Tyranny :confused:

5 Likes
3 Likes

Oh, there you go again with your “logic” and “facts”

5 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Blood clots in the brain

Far be it from the BBC to get anyone upset by using the word “stroke”. /s

5 Likes
4 Likes

(Of course
 of course
 this report is :canada: :thinking:)

We found that those who had battled the BA.1-2 variant of Omicron in early 2022 had a 30-fold higher risk of contracting the BA.5 variant later in the year. That was exactly the opposite of what we, or anyone, would have predicted.

(Link is to a paper in The Lancet)

We know the protective value of multiple COVID vaccines does not accumulate like money in a bank account. It’s the recency of our boosters that will determine our degree of protection.

A doctor in :new_zealand: was extremely surprised that a family member, there for a post-COVID check-up, had received 6 vaccinations. Those would be, for :canada:, more or less exactly on schedule for individuals of our age; apparently not so much in :new_zealand:.

(Cue the sound of a dropped billiard ball rolling slowly across the remu-wood floor of a doctor’s office, with a slightly counter-clockwise curve.)

7 Likes
4 Likes

John McEnroe tested positive for covid, all the other players have a flu like illness.

Weird.

It’s just "a flu*.

5 Likes