Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

Agreed, more humane too than i was expecting.

I wonder though how they measured intelligence. Do ID cards there include an IQ score?

In the U.S., they could just ask participants whether they watch Focked News.

5 Likes

For me intelligence is as intelligence does so getting vaxxed and being smart is kind of a tautology!

I kind of have non-standard ideas on what intelligence is though (not ones that suggest Iā€™m super smart mind, the kinds of intelligences I really admire are design and 3d thinking which are among the many things I suck at).

2 Likes

The main problem with measuring ā€œintelligenceā€ is the roughly infinite different types of intelligence. I excel at pattern recognition and data recall, but suck at mathematical reasoning and brute memorization. Social and emotional intelligence fall somewhere in between. Iā€™ve seen papers using 30, 60 and more different scales of ā€œintelligences.ā€ And thatā€™s before we get into people who are intelligent, educated idiots (the surgeon general in FL springs to mind.) I suspect ā€œintelligent is as intelligent doesā€ is likely the best we gonna get.

Edit cause i am insufficiently caffeinated.

11 Likes

7 Likes

Ah, the most important type of intelligence of all. :wink:

4 Likes

(This is yes-and for your point, Doc.)

For those who are interested, ref. Stephen J. Gouldā€™s The Mismeasure of Man, or any WAIS-IV IQ test applied to a neurodivergent person.

The executive summary is: the whole concept of an IQ is a statistical fiction, and the idea that it reflects some actual quality of ā€œintelligenceā€ which has been labelled g is seven kinds of nonsense resulting from getting it entirely backwards.

An IQ test is not a test, itā€™s a whole bunch of tests, testing different things. There are tests for linguistic memory, numeric memory, spatial orientation, pattern recognition, general knowledge, vocabulary, processing speed, comprehension, problem solving, all sorts of things. The trick then is that the results of all those tests are mathematically mapped onto a scale, where the results of the general population form a normal distribution bell curve, where the mean is 100 and standard deviation is 15. This means that you would expect roughly two thirds of the population to have an IQ between 85 and 115. Thatā€™s literally how itā€™s defined.

The thing is, each of these subtests is individually scaled, then the results all averaged up for the final number. The idea is that if you score at a certain point on one test, you are likely to score more or less the same for the others. Thatā€™s how it tends to look for Neurotypical people.

For a neurodivergent person, though, that goes out the window. I, for example, score very differently for spatial orientation and vocabulary than I do for working memory. At a certain point, if the subtest scores vary too far from each other, then the pattern is of far more significance than the average.

10 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

ā€¦ um, today is Monday, NYT :confused:

6 Likes

I donā€™t qualify yet.

2 Likes
12 Likes

ā€¦ ITā€™S MID-SEPTEMBER NOW JOE :exploding_head:

7 Likes

Free 5 G upgrade!

6 Likes
5 Likes

Alright, folks, letā€™s get it done!

10 Likes

Now I do, got an appointment for later this month.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Pretty sure weā€™ve heard this song before. And learned absolutely nothing from it. Do I sound frustrated?

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

7 Likes

I know, eh? Another ship running agroundā€¦ /s

Family members were on a scientific cruise of a similar nature earlier this year and a COVID outbreak happened. What with it being a boatload of scientists, this triggered fairly comprehensive precautions, and those precautions were enforced with rigour (and success).

9 Likes
10 Likes