Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

That sucks… I’m sorry. Hopefully, this was your response.

tina fey eye roll GIF

9 Likes

I tried “If you think everybody else is in a cult …”

6 Likes

My jabs are tomorrow (getting flu done at the same time). Not quite sure why I am in advance of both parents – postcode lottery?

7 Likes

Welcome to my life…

8 Likes

The current UK booster campaign is waiting to target the most vulnerable people last because infections are predicted to peak in the winter, and they want the most vulnerable population to have maximum protection when the wave peaks.

We’ll see if this strategy works later this year.

9 Likes
8 Likes

Too Much Fainting GIF

8 Likes

… it’s funny the way their eyes light up with little BSOD error messages when we bring up polio

7 Likes
2 Likes

I always get nervous about pushing back on doom-and-gloom narratives, because people here seem to be concerned (rightly) with how little the rest of the country cares about the crisis, and so showing that Covid is still a real concern is important to counter that, but at the same time I feel like it’s disingenuous not to acknowledge that the scaling of that chart makes an “uptick” look large only because things are so flat right now that little bumps seem large in proportion.

Zooming out a little, you can see a truer scale of our current bump.

Note, that’s omitting the initial Omicron wave, because if we include it it simply dwarfs everything forever:

But even the version without that wave shows this bump to be much less impressive than the original scaling implies.

This could just be low rates of testing, of course, but it also seems to match the Ontario wastewater data (shown here without the initial Omicron wave, so a reasonable scaling):

That matches other wastewater data, here is Boston (which I can’t get without the Omicron wave, so apologies for the scaling, but at least it only shows the downward slope of that wave, and not the actual peak):

All this data seems to show that, while there has been a definite recent uptick in cases, I don’t know whether we have to immediately jump to “Here we go again :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:” territory.

12 Likes

Nice perspective on the numbers. I do think it matters for people who are at high risk and their family/caregivers to monitor this closely.

7 Likes

Of course, and that’s why I tried to couch my hesitancy to post in the beginning, but I could have been even clearer.

8 Likes
10 Likes

jurassic park cinema GIF

4 Likes

Molnupiravir does appear to have a good response in cats with FIP, feline infectious peritonitis, which is caused by a different coronavirus and is otherwise lethal. IANAV (virologist), but since Covid can also infect cats, that could complicate things maybe? :confused:

4 Likes

18 million people suffering.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Is the “infectious disease” called Mass Refusal to Wear a Mask?

/bitter, sad s

6 Likes

I dedicate this post to all the folks who said we needed to rush to “herd immunity” and say “covid is over.”

#COVID19 reinfection data based on medical billing records in Japan.

Interval between infections:

Wave 1~3 (Wildtype virus): 16.9 months
Wave 4 (Alpha); 13.6 months
Wave 5 (Delta): 10.9 months
Wave 6 (Omicron, early 2022): 7.3 months
Wave 7 (Omicron, autumn 2022): 3.7 months

Source in Japanese: コロナ再感染の間隔、徐々に短く 第7波で3.7カ月 | 共同通信

6 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes