Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

The other lesson is that we’re all in this together. All the countries, the US included, who fucked up the response to the pandemic have also screwed over the countries who handed it right.

15 Likes
11 Likes

Just FTR, while everyone is looking at the war, cases are going up in Germany, as well. Models say we are in the sixth wave.

14 Likes

Welle, thats no good.

I’m supposed to travel there next month. I really hoped I’d have a chance to see sights but I’m sure it’ll all be in lockdown again.

13 Likes

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

9 Likes

Same here. Case numbers have started to rebound just as they’re about to loosen restrictions again, and it is barely being reported.

13 Likes

Also - there’s going to be another wave with all the refugees.

13 Likes

The Science Table has asked for a few more weeks of masking. Bruce Arthur at the Toronto Star notes that there is little evidence that masks are actually bad for kids’ development. However, with an election coming up it’s important that the pandemic be over on schedule. :thinking:

11 Likes
13 Likes

I honestly think you can go visit nearly everything you want.

Germany is not going to impose strict measures again. There’s no political will for that to be seen.

The argument is basically: it’s not worth it. Case fatalities are down, and while clinics are still more limping than running smoothly, the majority of cases turning up there will not go to the ventilators. Much lesser to ECMO.

That said, fuck this shit. I am not going to write down how, IMO, we get there to have accepted > 200k new cases per day and > 200 deaths per day as something from a dystopian nightmare, but as “normal”. As in: that’s the norm. Germans are proud of their norms. But DIN is definitely more important than ethical norms, apparently.

I should not have replied. I am all “angry old white male in front of screen” stereotype again. I hate myself, this world, and maybe everyone in it.

15 Likes

Wah GIF

12 Likes
10 Likes

We’re back to what I call the YOYO phase, meaning You’re on Your Own. With governments bowing to business owners and the vocal supporters of freedumb, we have to make choices for our own safety based on available information. I agree that we probably won’t see lockdowns again unless a variant makes conditions so much worse they cannot be ignored or covered up. So, we take advice to drop our guard with a whole box of salt, tie another knot in the rope, and hang on to make it through the next wave.

20 Likes

Screaming Internally Star Trek GIF

13 Likes

I am not wishing for this type of knot…

…but I would really like those who are responsible for all the obviously wrong decisions which brought us here to take responsibility.

ETA: The obviously wrong decisions are obvious, as Captain Obvious added, obviously.

Also: your YOYO made my head spin a little. :joy:

9 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04576-6

8 Likes

These sort of factors should, logically (we all know how well that plays out way too often) play a role in a lot of viral syndromes. I have said, I am looking for covid research to lead to much better understanding of our interactions with viral pathogens, and maybe even viruses as a class. Much knowledge to be gained, but at a horrendous price.

15 Likes

Ugh…

10 Likes

Stuck at home in our echo chambers, these results don’t surprise me at all. They’re disappointing, but it makes total sense.

7 Likes
16 Likes