Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

12 Likes
6 Likes
12 Likes
13 Likes

Iā€™m in the over 50 almost 60 crowd with 2 types of heart disease. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d get a second booster right now, I think Iā€™d wait til this fall in case things went really south again. I think Iā€™d want the extra protection closer to a significant outbreak.

Whereā€™s our resident doctor? Any thoughts yet?

4 Likes

My thought right now is itā€™s all about timing and expectations. If the goal is to not get it at all, we probably need boosted every 3-6 months, because thatā€™s about where circulating neutralizing antibodoes start to wane. This isa characteristic of coronaviruses as a family. Different timing in different folks, but roughly there. Now, cellular immunity, or immune memory, is a different kettle of fish. This acounts for the dramatically lower incidence of complications and, maybe possibly, more data needed, lower levels of long covid. And, of course, WDKS still applies. So, not terribly definitive, but there you have it.

18 Likes

What are your thoughs about the second booster shot getting approval without the CDC or FDA advisory committees weighing in?

From the NY Times:

1 Like
7 Likes

fines

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

9 Likes
10 Likes

'bligs:

16 Likes
9 Likes

Covid will remain lethal

Helsinkiā€™s Ilta-Sanomat writes that growing numbers of scientists around the world are now saying that the SARS-CoV-2 virus may never become a common seasonal flu, but is likely to continue as a disease that causes severe symptoms and deaths, especially among the elderly.

The reason is the aggressiveness of this coronavirus, how it invades human cells and what changes it makes in the cells.

Ilkka Julkunen, Professor of Virology at the University of Turku, told Ilta-Sanomat that the SARS-CoV-2 clearly differs from other seasonal coronaviruses that cause the flu.

ā€œThere is currently no evidence that SARS-CoV-2 will change into a mild infection such as seasonal flu. In order for a virus to become no longer dangerous to humans, it should become a completely new virus. I find it unlikely that the virus would change so dramatically. I donā€™t see that the coronavirus would become much less dangerous for at least a few years,ā€ Julkunen said.

18 Likes

Family Time Reaction GIF by Lifetime

14 Likes

April foolsā€™ day too early? Superspreader gadget?

8 Likes

8 Likes

Must read.

14 Likes

Nopeā€¦ not done yetā€¦

14 Likes

:cry:

17 Likes
1 Like