Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

My reality check tells me that you might have recognised it. Some mutants including myself have realised it.

Society hasn’t, I believe. I am very sure about this.

And we must try to change that. Even in little ways, each and every one of us.

The interview I linked? Not even trying to, in my opinion. Left me speechless.

11 Likes

Caregivers at one of the largest hospital systems in the state had an art exhibit with art they created about the pandemic.

This one caught my eye.

covid art

You should be able to view the slide show without a subscription.

15 Likes
10 Likes

Just so we are clear on the vaccine vs “natural immunity” so-called debate:

Neutralization Profile after Recovery from SARS-CoV-2 Omicron Infection | NEJM
Original source

21 Likes

Makes sense to me. I mean it’s anecdotal but my boss has had two confirmed cases of Covid-19; the first one put him in the hospital June 2021 and he swore he’d get vaccinated. He didn’t and he caught it again mid-January.

16 Likes

This is interesting.

TL;DR and bloody German:

The German federal institute in charge of biomedicine says there is no evidence that lateral flow tests are not significantly worse as good to detect Omicron than as for the “older” variants.

(Contains a link to a press package, with PowerPoint slides of two presentations which did not check, yet).

In other news.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(22)00036-2/fulltext

TL;DR:
Looks like antibody response is quite weak after some time, but T-cell immunity looks stable - also across variants.

2 Likes

huge jumps everywhere but Northern Ireland

5 Likes

So LFTs are worse? Double negatives and all.

3 Likes

Yep. I got the third in October, already wishing i could get a fourth. :grimacing:

7 Likes

Sorry.

Tried to fix that.
Better?

ETA: bloody German language stuck in my head. This week I spent too much time in online conferences where either German or Denglish was spoken. Loosing my ability to switch between languages due to massive exposure…

7 Likes

I share this as a warning.

8 Likes

The idiots are going to have to pay out of pocket soon (Reuters reprint)

12 Likes

Follow-up on previous reporting:

Nurses here, particularly hospital nurses, are looking for off ramps. We have all made mistakes, and i challenge anyone to honestly say that they have not. Tbe idea that when we do, we could face prison, is not helping in the current fragile state of our medical system. Guess it doesn’t matter, since we are just replacable cogs. Fuck…

18 Likes
9 Likes

Simon Jenkins is a Guardian columnist and a Right Knob.

12 Likes

Yeah. I was wondering when the whitewash would start. Thought it would be during next summer.

Turns out: already is in full swing.

9 Likes

Perhaps he was wrong???

Funny you should say that because after reading this:

Sweden’s GDP declined in that critical year of 2020 by just 2.9%. Britain crippled itself with a decline of 9.4%. Is that perhaps why more Britons died? But this brings me uncomfortably close to wondering if I should have stuck to my original guns.

I immediately picturing giving him a good hard kick there.

13 Likes

Which means that they’ll be even LESS likely to get the vaccine…

7 Likes

… he deserves a kick in the knockers?

[ellipsis: mine!]

Now, seriously: everything about this piece is dishonest and despicable. How dare he bullshit like that, and why the FUCK is the Guardian even publishing this bullshit without a fat disclaimer after every claim which is wrong?

I don’t give a shit any more about journos fucking bothsidism, and I dare UK press doing the same thing with, say, the wars in Yemen, Syria, and Ukraine. I swear, if I meet a publisher in person and he (always a HE) tries to defend such a indefensible piece of writing, I will spit in their face.

If someone can’t understand why I didn’t comment when I posted this: I needed some time to cool off after these sentences:

Back in 1997 we had heard that millions “might die” from bird flu, and from Sars in 2003, and from swine flu in 2009. The scientists extracted vast sums from the government, […the] favoured “worst-case scenario” of half a million deaths […] There was nothing to suggest that this epidemic was not another of the same. The wolves of big science were after headlines and money, and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Cooling off clearly didn’t work.

Someone who prints such sentences, after millions of confirmed deaths despite efforts to mitigate clearly is not worth being a publisher any more. This is exactly the thing which made this pandemic unbearable for me, and the very reason for preventable deaths.

What a nightmare.

We learned nothing.

Obviously.

9 Likes

Yep. Right in his original guns.

7 Likes