Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

SARS-CoV-2 is predictable. We know a bit or two about mutations, where they occur and also a bit why.
Evolutionary speaking.

But we are still learning, because… WDKS.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-29104-y

ETA; Nature communications (as most Nature publications) won’t onebox. This has something to do with their website, even free content apparently tells other sites that it is subscription-based.

Abstract for the BBS:

Abstract
SARS-CoV-2 remdesivir resistance mutations have been generated in vitro but have not been reported in patients receiving treatment with the antiviral agent. We present a case of an immunocompromised patient with acquired B-cell deficiency who developed an indolent, protracted course of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Remdesivir therapy alleviated symptoms and produced a transient virologic response, but her course was complicated by recrudescence of high-grade viral shedding. Whole genome sequencing identified a mutation, E802D, in the nsp12 RNA-dependent RNA polymerase, which was not present in pre-treatment specimens. In vitro experiments demonstrated that the mutation conferred a ~6-fold increase in remdesivir IC50 but resulted in a fitness cost in the absence of remdesivir. Sustained clinical and virologic response was achieved after treatment with casirivimab-imdevimab. Although the fitness cost observed in vitro may limit the risk posed by E802D, this case illustrates the importance of monitoring for remdesivir resistance and the potential benefit of combinatorial therapies in immunocompromised patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection.

8 Likes
15 Likes
14 Likes
16 Likes

So at the emergency animal hospital last night they are still doing curbside only and no one is allowed inside. The very professional and kind vet techs come out to your car and collect your pet.

Around 11:00PM some guy in a pickup truck (it’s always a pick up truck in my county) pulled in and went to the door with his cat. He read the sign that said to please call and someone will come out to assist you.

He proceeded to freak out yelling obscenities at I don’t know who. Might have been a show for everyone waiting patiently in their vehicles in the parking lot.

He then got in his truck and stormed out. Not sure where he was going to take his cat because all of the hospital in the area have really long wait times and many of them were closed to patients due to the number of people needing care for their pets.

I can’t imagine why vets, techs, and anyone else associated with animal care is leaving the field. They’re there 24/7 trying to help and people are still abusing them.

11 Likes

Bolsonaro: ‘They keep bothering me to get a vaccine. let me die’

16 Likes

Ok…

18 Likes

At least He admitted that vaccines save lives!

18 Likes

What a scaredy cat.

11 Likes

He is in a difficult situation. He spent the pandemic promoting the use of drugs that were at least ineffective. He even mockedly imitated the breathing of patients on the brink of death, disdained the vaccines and still found time to pass on fake news.

Fortunately for us ordinary people, the vaccine arrived and saved many lives. Unfortunately, it arrived late and many people still mourn the loss of relatives and loved ones.

Apparently He can’t go back and say the shots are good, as it might make Him seem weak and stupid to his acolytes, but sticking with this obtuse behavior will only cause him to lose a lot of votes in the October election.

I don’t feel sorry for him.

18 Likes

He’s probably upset and feeling depressed from the effects of COVID attacking his penis.

10 Likes
11 Likes

Widely held theory is direct neural damage. The cribiform plate in the nose houses essentially a direct extention of the brain, therefore, the loss of smell is actually brain damage. Additionally, when the neurons regenerate they may not “hook back up properly” resulting in derangements of taste and smell like “Everything i put in my mouth tastes like BO.” (A real case i have) This is theory, not proven currently, but i suspect it is at least mostly true.

20 Likes

With increasing pressure to “get back to normal” (and undermine successful health policies), it seems some pols forgot what pandemic means:

:crystal_ball: The cycle is going to continue until we need a different alphabet - maybe Khmer. :weary:

17 Likes

…Of masks indoors.

Nobody could have predicted.

16 Likes

The Toronto :canada: Star is in fine form today. Discussions with friends are more or less echoed in these editorial pieces.

We have to learn to live with COVID-19. This is the directive on the lips of nearly every leader in the land. It’s also a lie. When someone says: “We have to learn to live with COVID-19,” they don’t mean “We.” They mean “I.”

:frowning_face: Ouch…

12 Likes

Feel you.

Fuck. This. Shit.

This means that employers will basically force their employees to work while being infected. Prediction: of course this will hit people in low-income jobs the hardest.

They do not mean “I”. They mean “you”.

18 Likes
8 Likes

that is wild. no wonder smell is so evocative.

hey now. sci-fi movies are real. i should know. i’ve seen them in the theater.

( unless even that is a simulation :thinking: )

6 Likes

FUCK

15 Likes