Convoy trucker explains why she is protesting: “I don’t want 'em to digitile us"

so she represents what, an involuntary ba’athist, forced into this role by the vagaries of late-stage neoliberal capitalism?

extending empathy is good as a goal although attempting to extend empathy to someone who likely has a “fuck your feelings” t-shirt in their closet that they used to wear to trump rallies will often lead to disappointment or worse. but please, feel free to attempt to establish a counter-narrative if you feel you must.

for the record, i am a 60 year old, middle class, white, male, left-liberal democrat from rural texas who is an 8th generation native of this state and i have had a lot of experience with inarticulate jerks who love trump and all the incoherent rage he represents.

23 Likes

“Don’t forget to check your linkedin? It’s a crummy commercial!”

3 Likes

To add to what you’ve written, the reporter wasn’t mocking her. He asked a question, she answered, and the tape was rolling. He did not lead her on, or try to trip her up. She was like that all on her own. If we’re at the point where we can’t show these people because even the most innocent presentation makes them look dumb as a bag of nails, there’s a bigger problem going on.

24 Likes

“Digitile” is a real thing. It is a digital document management system. Perhaps that system was used in connection with inventory, payroll or scheduling in her trucking company, and eventually became a verb.

If you look carefully at the video, there is an edit between “digitile us” and “I don’t want to take medicine that will hurt people.” which implies that she is explaining what “digitile” means, but this is not necessarily the case. We don’t know how much time passed or what was edited out. Later she explains “they are trying to control us from what we put in our bodies” followed by another edit after which the man says “and eventually we’ll actually be robots?” to which she disagrees. This second edit makes it seem that she thinks that the vaccine is going to turn her into a robot. But she does not think this, it’s a trick of the edit.

A lot of what she says is clearly misinformed and poorly articulated (female robots? tell me more!), but please do research, consider all possibilities, and understand how clever video editing is able to manipulate opinion.

3 Likes

episode 8 bullshit GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

The “economic anxiety” argument about the supporters of authoritarianism has never had much basis in reality and it still doesn’t. These people have been showing you who they are now for several years - time to believe them.

Like the empathy being shown the the LGBQT+ community in states controlled by the GOP, being cheered on by these assholes? Like the empathy being shown by people refusing to take simple, common sense precautions that have led to a million deaths? Like the empathy shown to migrants? Like the empathy shown to victims of rape? Like the empathy being shown by their heroes, like Trump, Boebert, and MTG? Like that empathy?

Cause it is. They want to do whatever they want, no matter how many people they kill, and they expect us to coddle their feelings.

Well, see if we let them have exactly what they want, even though the majority of the country oppose them, even though many things they want violate the civil and human rights of other human beings, then they’ll be happy. /s

Apparently, that’s mocking people now… :roll_eyes:

24 Likes

Having worked in TV news in the past and having seen a lot of pre-edited footage I can tell you that the chances that the raw footage would make her look more grounded in reality and more coherent are slim to none.

Also, Digitile was founded in 2019 and is a consolidated tagging and search overlay for cloud storage services like Dropbox and Google Docs. There are various industry-specific systems to actively monitor and track and schedule truck drivers that she might rightly complain about to the point of turning it into a verb in a short time but Digitile isn’t it.

It’s more likely she was trying to say “digital” because she couldn’t come up with with the word “automate” but pronounced it in an odd way – several times, insistently and without referring to a type of software. You’re really stretching to make it into something else.

16 Likes

It’s not just that racism is stupid and needs to go away, but the GOP and their giant combovered leader made it OK to be openly racist again and that’s just the worst.

5 Likes

Why aren’t you?

9 Likes

Rookie GIF by ABC Network

16 Likes

Giving her the benefit of the doubt here, but I’m 99% sure the term she’s looking for is getting automated out, especially because self driving is being looked at for long haul trucking.

3 Likes

Please, no…

2 Likes

I’m expecting less violence from religious sects scrambling for power but they might have a whole pile of American weapons.
Dammit.
This is fucking Baghdad all over again.
The ignoring them AND calling them names at the same time is a tricky balance to achieve but we fucked up before, we can do it all again.
It doesn’t all have to go to Shi’ite this time!!.

9 Likes

To suggest there is a hazy link between “richest country on earth” and “smartest country on earth” would be excessively kind at this stage of the game.

If anybody needs me I’ll be down in my basement digging a fallout shelter.

1 Like

Looks like she works for a small company north of Dallas:
I wonder if her employer knows where she is with their truck

Company Overview

Ss Carrier, Inc. is an active carrier operating under USDOT Number 1843517 and MC Number 667878.

Total Trucks 19
Tractors Owned 10
Trailer Owned 26
Total Drivers 19
USDOT 1843517
MC Number 667878
MCS-150 Mileage Year 2019
MCS-150 Date 20201218
MCS-150 Mileage 620000
Does Ss Carrier, Inc. transport Hazardous Material? No
Carrier Operation Interstate
Ss Carrier, Inc. in business since 20090108

Note that ‘Carrier Operation’ is Interstate, meaning the truck can only be operated ‘in Texas’. No idea where this interview was conducted, but she might get in trouble for operating the thing out of state.
Her employer might be unhappy about her being a spokesperson on their behalf, as well. Doubly so if she doesn’t own that rig.
OTOH, they are based in the 'burbs of Dallas, so they may well be on board with this.

In any case, fuel ain’t cheap for any of those protesters, so, apparently they don’t mind throwing money down a hole.

No idea what she was protesting about, though.
Sounds like a mish-mash of crap she heard on AM radio talk shows.

3 Likes

“They” always makes me think of Robot Chicken Palpatine yelling into a corded phone “WHO’S THEY?!?”

robot-chicken-the-emperor

11 Likes

:thinking:

10 Likes

This article popped up in my news feed.

6 Likes

No, no, that’s when we need to take responsibility and apologize to them for making them do it :crazy_face:

13 Likes

Wait, wouldn’t that be intrastate?

Inter is between whereas intra is only within, right?

15 Likes

Ummm. So international Travel happens only in one nation?

“ An interstate carrier provides transportation services across state borders and is required to register with the Secretary of Transportation while an intrastate carrier has its operations entirely within one state and does not affect interstate commerce”

9 Likes