Anti-vaxxers from "Freedom Convoy" harass homeless shelter and demand food

Originally published at: Anti-vaxxers from "Freedom Convoy" harass homeless shelter and demand food | Boing Boing

8 Likes

As with many protests we’ve seen in the U.S.*, the anti-vaxx “cause” is just a pretext for fascists to push their toxic ideology. 90% of Canadian truckers are vaccinated. This is about another agenda.

So of course sado-populist thugs would harass and bully people at a homeless shelter.

[* e.g. the ones in West L.A. last year actually organised by Proud Boys from Bakersfield]

46 Likes

This is where I live. It was disgusting. There were confederate flags, trump flags, and even swastikas. I saw a video of a guy on a microphone openly declaring himself to be a white supremacist and the crowd cheered.

44 Likes

I doubt for a second that this was a mob of working class people. I think many of them are middle or upper middle class. They hate anybody poor and they hate anybody educated. It’s a revolution of middle managers spitting on their employees.

22 Likes

27 Likes

Why dance around the topic? Just call spade a spade - they are neo-nazis.

17 Likes

Unfortunate people.

That is a pretty kick-ass sign though.

1 Like

You get one [sign] free when you join them… /s

4 Likes

Nazis do put extra care into anything involving skulls, yes.

23 Likes

My friend’s 14 year old daughters were yelled at and followed by these fuckwits because they were wearing masks. Their friend was assaulted by them.

My sister lives in the core in Ottawa and has had people with COnfederate and Nazi flags up and down her street all weekend.

Fuck those guys.

34 Likes

Small hints on where some of the funding came from. Lots of people in Alberta mad that Trudeau “ruined” the tar sands and if only he were gone the magic money tap would turn back on. It’s all Trudeau’s fault you see, not the international price of crude, not the fact they are steam cleaning the sand out of tar and then cracking the tar into gasoline making it the most expensive and pollutant oil in the world. Nope, none of those things are factors.

31 Likes

Ugh. These clowns. The amount of support this freedumb convoy seems to have locally is really frustrating. They did a big co-rally down the major highway running through here and there was no shortage of these fools participating.

5 Likes

Given the number of Swastikas running around and the other trash @Ryan_Smith mentions.

I don’t think they’re looking for pre-text.

Anti-vax and quack medicine are just part of the ideology now.

Don’t forget the Don’t Tread On Me flags, and Thin Blue Line Flags. Maga Hats, and “Canada First” slogans all over the fucking place. America is exporting extremism.

If Canada is anything like the US. What the press means by “working class”. Is a white guy who owns a contracting business, driving a brand new $120,000 pickup.

20 Likes

As I understand, the only use for the heavy crude from the tar sands was to mix it with light crude from fracking, so that the oil companies could continue to use their refineries as is.

Meanwhile, they’ve been modifying the refineries so that the heavy crude is no longer needed. That ship has sailed, as it were.

But no, there’s a grand conspiracy to keep Alberta “land-locked”. :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

waves to neighbour

I just haven’t gone out. I know I wouldn’t be able to keep my mouth shut & would end up in an altercation.

You can read running commentary from locals on reddit’s r/ottawa/.

Edit: Here’s someone’s Running Tally of People Being Awful.

10 Likes
18 Likes

Ooo, I wonder what it’s like on NextDoor?

Bunkered Ring doorbell fascists vs nomadic ones. /popcorn

5 Likes

Just to clarify - that pic is not from Ottawa, it’s from Manchester, UK.

I don’t think the “people” involved in this are that artistically talented. They can handle a confederate flag or a swastika though.

5 Likes

Be careful. You don’t know how many of them are rabid.

1 Like

They are saying the quiet part out loud. Loud and proud of being white supremacists: https://twitter.com/notandrea/status/1487871040231546882?s=20&t=6sDgOzLFxbitsR0DlscElA

18 Likes