Anti-vaxxers from "Freedom Convoy" harass homeless shelter and demand food

The main thing I learned from this convoy was that I had a few old friends I had forgotten to purge from Facebook.

8 Likes

I was also seeing tweets from bar/restaurant owners in advance of the fash-parade that an “advance team” was showing up and demanding they give free food and alcohol to the coming protesters (plus display pro-protest flies), or they’d make things difficult for the business owners. Just straight-up extortion. The owners simply decided to close their businesses during the time in question and not deal with any of that nonsense.

Someone shared coms from the protest (dis-)organizers, and it was all about expectations that someone was going to be providing free food and shelter for them all, as if it was owed to them.

20 Likes

These morans are also hard at work in southern Alberta…

7 Likes

There was a planned protest of the homeless by the far right fascists in my town last Saturday. It was made clear that anyone who was going to attempt to solve homelessness with assault rifles and baseball bats as they were planning on Facebook would be on video and doxxed to their employers and the police… Fortunately things remained relatively calm.

3 Likes

Yes, America does export a fair amount of garbage, and not all for recycling.

4 Likes

Who are you kidding? No one will buy our actual garbage garbage anymore.

That shit goes in the Ocean. Right off New Jersey.

1 Like

eta: It might be intended as an obvious fake.

8 Likes

Need a multi-meme cocktail to be effective on this one:

3 Likes

“You know we can see the CN Tower, right?”

No Sir, that’s the Ottawa Obelisk !

3 Likes

A local (Edmonton) radio station interview a couple truckers trying to cross the border, lots of produce and perishables tied up on both sides of the border. They interview the mayor of Coutts as well, no problems there yet but the locals are locking their doors.

3 Likes

Depending on which Canadian trucker’s association is speaking, their memberships are either 85% or 90% double vaxxed. They are also making very clear statements that they do not support or condone these anti-vax idiots.

6 Likes

If someone in Coutts needs an ambulance, it will need to travel to and from the community on a dirt road.

People like Alberta Premier Jason Kenney are directly responsible for creating these situations, fomenting hate and distrust of government over the years, egging people on and polarizing the political arena. I doubt he possesses the self awareness to understand his own complicity in these events though.

6 Likes

This is kind of why I have refrained from engaging anyone of this topic; that engagement is the purpose: to sow division. There is no reality behind the stated premise(that we will suffer shortages because Canadian truckers who are unvaxed can’t cross the US border, and that is due to a Canadian law). 90 to 95 percent of Canadian truckers are vaccinated, and in any event the Canadian gov’t doesn’t have the power to change a US restriction

4 Likes

…and it is to some degree a retirement community, with lots of older people. As for Kenney, I would say complicit , not responsible. The rise of Neo-liberalism and the flight from reason seem to me to be somewhat correlated, possibly engineered by manipulation of media of all kinds. Here’s an interesting paper that maybe illustrates this notion to a degree. (Ya, I know ‘conspiracy theory’ etc, but this is a world that Cambridge Analytical exists in :slight_smile: )
https://www.pnas.org/content/118/51/e2107848118

1 Like

Have a friend who also lives close by and witnessed pretty much what you said except for the yelling because well, he isn’t a 14 year old girl so…I really hope they are okay.

1 Like

Canberra, Australia, yesterday:

7 Likes

Yup. That’s the mindset.

4 Likes

That, and adjunct faculty making little enough that they rely on public assistance(25% of respondents, apparently) and enjoy heavy workloads and zero job security are the Liberal Elites who have somehow captured all of science for a trickle of that sweet, sweet, grant money.

Their characterizations are not only dishonest or pitifully naive in the specific instance of not realizing that pickup trucks in luxury trim are not the hardworking vehicles of the downtrodden common man; but part of an entire imaginary hierarchy of alleged dominance and repression that is pretty much fractally wrong.

5 Likes

The mock drumming was bad enough, but that they were doing it with a stolen indigenous drum is the glaze on the shit doughnut.

eta: I bet that’s currently some far right group’s prize trophy.

eta2: It turns out that it wasn’t the drum that the “Freedom Convoy” used.

9 Likes

I think that sums up our modern era nicely… “glaze on the shit doughnut”…

7 Likes