Cooking (not just dinner)

#!!!

I still have to use a spray bottle. Curses!!

2 Likes

All of this wonderful food and here I am planning to making homemade teething rusks for my baby.

And perhaps my ultra chocolate cookies.

2 Likes

Have you tried the plunge a hot brick from the BBQ into a deep pot of water on the lower rack trick?

Not that technique specifically. I sometimes (when logistics allow) bring some water to boil in my kettle and pour it into a 500f pan at the bottom of my oven. A super heated stone sounds great as well :smile: (where did I put my welding/cooking gloves? And where are my blacksmith tongs?)

Donā€™t forget the hazmat suit and full face guard for superheated steam discharge.

2 Likes

#Cooking

Iā€™m game.

10 Likes

Yeah, vinyl is really great around high heat sources. :wink:

2 Likes

Well donā€™t leave us hanging!

1 Like

check it out

2 Likes

That is very close to pain aā€™l-cant-spell-it. 75% hydration is tricky to handle, and unforgivingā€¦ But awesome. I was at 65% in those pics. 60-62% is normal for a regular baguette.

No knead is 80+%, and it approaches batter consistency. I like it, except handling the damn 500+F dutch oven.

Bagels are 48-50% and can burn out the motor of a mixer pretty quickā€“i make those entirely by hand to save my 20 year old kitchen aid.

God I love baking, always have.

1 Like

Blue Rock Candy: http://www.thecookierookie.com/rock-candy/

(just in time to hand out little ziplocks of the stuff to trick-or-treaters dressed in your yellow hazmat suit!)

1 Like

Pain de mie? Thatā€™s denser, not wetter.

Eh, makin me grab my booksā€¦

Pain a lā€™Ancienne. Itā€™s a 79%hydration recipe, but I usually go for ~75%. Pushing 80% just makes it Sooo slack.

Ahā€¦Iā€™ve never made it. Sounds fabulous.

Wait, now that Iā€™ve read a few recipes, this sounds just like the dough I keep in the fridge, except slightly wetter. Mine:

24 oz water
2 lbs flour
1 TB salt
1 1/2 TBs instant yeast

Mine has just enough density to be shaped into a ball, loaf, etc. but otherwise is basically the same.

And yes, easy peasy and yummy!

2 Likes

@chgoliz & @japhroaig the only way to settle who makes better bread is for you both to overnight me 4 of your best loaves. any cheese or jam you send will be considered a bribe, bribes are perfectly acceptable.

on your marks, get set, bake!

11 Likes

For this to be a fair comparison, at least two (2) independent raters are needed! I will pm you both (@japhroaig, @chgoliz) my mailing address and I accept overnight deliveries.

7 Likes

But what about a tie? You need an odd-numbered amount of raters - Iā€™m willing to participate, for the greater good!

6 Likes

Hey you two!!! (@awjt & @renke) This is my grift, get yer own scamā€¦erā€¦contest! all the breads must be mine!!!

5 Likes

n.b. to @japhroaig and @chgoliz: I am perfectly willing to render an unbiased opinion without any jam or jelly bribes.

4 Likes