Cooking (not just dinner)

Well, I do have half a dozen jars of lemon curd in the fridge… Too bad the blackberry is gone.

4 Likes

I didn’t say no, but I’m not forcing you to spend more money on shipping than necessary. There could be an equal exchange of goods… lemme see… right now I have a bunch of home-smoked chipotle powder that is rather yummy. The jalapenos were smoked on mesquite, then ground to a fine dust. Also on the shelves are whole smoked peppers, and at some point I will be doing something with pumpkins this fall…

3 Likes

The thing that gets me is this should be a no brainer, it lets the amalayse convert the starch without wild yeast/bacteria contamination.

There is another method though :smile:

Take all the water for a recipe and half the flour. Add a teaspoon of either rye or the freshest flour you can find (or some.crushed malted barley, looking for enzymes). Mix that together in a jar and place it in a water bath at 140F for 90 minutes–no hotter!

Cool to 80F, add starter/salt/etc. You just aged your dough three days in just 90 minutes. Cool thing is it is provable both taste wise and with a refractometer.

(For the brewers, yes, it is basically a mash. Use alpha and beta amalayse to break down carbs into maltose)

1 Like

@japhroaig - would this thread be an appropriate place to discuss kitchen tools we love?

I make wild sour doughs all the time, is there a reason you don’t like the wild yeasties?

Yes, and I dooo love them. But… I could write a treatise… Here is itina nutshell.

Commercial yeast varieties taste best either after a few hours at 68f-74f, or ~2-3 days at 37f.

Wild yeasts taste best after you’ve divided your mother three times over ten days. (And then keep it going by dividing, baking, feeding)

Three day wild yeast breads don’t tend to have the right ph to encourage the most beneficial infections, which is why you tend to get cheesy and musty notes instead of clean sourness.

2 Likes

ah, thanks for the info. i use a method i was taught that takes 7-12 days. I mix a small amount of flour and water into a very thin paste and add a little more flour and water every day, in a bowl covered by a cloth. I can tell it is ready to use when the bubbles reach a certain level and the scent changes sour.

i do have an established herman as well though.

sometimes if i want to make a quick “wild” sourdough, i jump start it with a bit of home made kefir.

so far i haven’t had any turn out bad…could be luck though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Kefir is a solid idea. So is live kombucha.

So, what tools do you love?

Holy moly, you are a genius! And who has a proof cycle on her lovely little steam oven, hmmm?

Rye is a sneaky ingredient: using it automatically adds several days of freshness to your loaf. I have no idea why (you’re going to tell me, aren’t you??!!).

2 Likes

Why not? Have at it!

I didn’t have anything specific in mind, i just like seeing what other people love and use.

I am a huge fan of japanese nakiri style knives, I like quality knives in general.
This one is my favorite…

This is my favorite lemon/lime juicer…

2 Likes

That’s a perty knife.

1 Like

My dailies.

However I think my favorite is my dead simple chinois. I got it at good will for a buck.

4 Likes

that looks a lot like mine!

(sorry my cell phone camera is crap! thanks for posting yours, those are exactly the sort of things i like seeing…)

3 Likes

I have a really high rockwell sushi filet knife somewhere in a box that I haven’t unpacked yet… Temperamental, but it was cheap and when it was sharp it was shaaarp.

1 Like

speaking of high rockwell, I have two ceramic knives. they are pretty cool, but i like my metal ones better.

Didn’t think I’d be lusting after fancy knives today, but here we are.

I just have a basic Henckels set. Matter of fact, I traded in five cheaper sets of knives for it when I got married.

2 Likes

I don’t like how stuff sticks and scoots along the sides of my ceramics. I like metal better.

My mom got us some Cutcos a few years ago now. They are pretty awesome and damn sharp, but I do keep an old beat up IKEA chefs knife sharp enough and that is my usual go to for a most things.

1 Like

I like this knife block called the Kapoosh because it won’t scratch up my blades like a magnet if people are careless.

2 Likes

Anyone see the BB thread about chili peppers?

1 Like