Cooking (not just dinner)

marshmallows–

all temperature measurements are in degrees fahrenheit. this recipe requires a candy thermometer and a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.

ingredients–
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1 cup white or light corn syrup
3 packets unflavored gelatin
1 cup water divided in half
pinch salt
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup confectioners sugar

see end note about flavorings for three different kinds of marshmallows

put a half cup of water each into a medium saucepan and the mixing bowl. to the pan add sugar and corn syrup. stir until the sugar, syrup, and water are well blended. cover the saucepan and put on high heat for 4 minutes. while the sugar heats add three packs of unflavored gelatin to the water in the mixing bowl and allow to bloom.

after four minutes clip the thermometer to the side of the saucepan and stir frequently. when the temperature reaches 240 degrees remove from heat and pour down the side of the mixing bowl with the mixer on low. when all the hot sugar has been added to the bowl turn the mixer on high and allow to mix for 15 minutes.

while the mixer is working take the cornstarch and powdered sugar and mix them together thoroughly. take a 13 x 9 casserole dish and lightly grease all sides. i find a cooking spray gives the most uniform coating. dust the sides with the corsnstarch/sugar mixture which i will refer to as “flour” from here on out. when the marshmallow fluff is ready in the mixer (see note below about flavorings) use a spatula to pour it out into the greased and “floured” dish. be advised this product is very sticky and putting some of the “flour” on your finger and palms is a pretty good idea. dust the top liberally with “flour” and use wax paper to press the marshmallow evenly into the dish. allow to sit for 4-8 hours before cutting.

use a spatula to turn out the loaf of marshmallow onto a “floured” cutting board and dust the top as well. i find it easiest to use a pizza cutter to cut up the marshmallows. you can cut them into any size pieces you desire. roll the cut marshmallows in a bowl of “flour” and then put them in your preferred storage container. a storage bag or some container which seals tightly is the best choice if they are not going to be eaten immediately.

note on flavoring–

vanilla marshmallows–

12 minutes into the mixing add the paste from the center of one whole vanilla bean to the mixture and allow to mix for 3 more minutes. if a whole bean is not available add one scant teaspoon of vanilla extract 14 minutes into the mixing and allow to mix for one more minute.

cherry marshmallows–

this requires one 10 oz. jar of maraschino cherries. drain the jar into a measuring cup and then add enough water to bring up to one cup. use this liquid instead of the water to divide into the saucepan and the mixing bowl at the start. wrap the cherries in paper towels and press out as much of the liquid as possible. then coarsely chop the cherries and wrap the chopped cherries in paper towels and press out as much of the liquid as possible. if the cherries are not as dry as you can possible make them the marshmallows will not set up and you will end up with a real mess. it’s possible that if getting the moisture out proves to be a problem for you that it would be better to use the liquid from the jar of cherries and then chop up about a half cup of red glace cherries instead. at 10 minutes into the mixing add a half teaspoon of vanilla extract and then 2 minutes later add the chopped cherries and allow to mix for another 3 minutes.

peppermint marshmallows

crush enough peppermint candy canes to give three-fourths cup of crushed candy. don’t crush it too finely because part of the charm of these is having little crispy bits of candy in the marshmallow matrix to run across from time to time. at 10 minutes into the mixing add the crushed candy canes and allow to mix another 5 minutes.

3 Likes

I always add orange zest when I’m making it and then mix a little Gran Marnier or Triple Sec if we’re not trying as hard to give a little whiff of booze and some surprisingly deep orange flavor.

I also made mine too sweet by cooking it too long this year because of a toddler issue.

[quote=“critter, post:1228, topic:65998”]
Yeah, turned out a bit thicker than usual, but fit the bill that night. Thinned the leftovers with chicken stock for a more traditional consistency at breakfast
[/quote]It looks great for a big meal on a cold night that way. Like it would really stick to your ribs.

EDIT

Also nailed the holiday dinner this year: bone-in ribeye with broiled asparagus, corn, baked potatoes, and truffle butter.

3 Likes

Oooo, yes! I always put some orange zest and diced mandarins in my Thanksgiving cranberries. Can’t believe I forget to mention that. Citrus and cranberries are a great pair. Maybe next Christmas I’ll try adding a few drops of bergamot.

6 Likes

If you want something magical braise Brussels sprouts in cream with those traditional spices.

5 Likes

sharing this one with the BBS as it was tasty.
from @JemmieDuffs’s Canadian Christmas Cookbook

It ended up being brunch after the 45 minute bake time but it got eaten up.

4 Likes

Yum yum yum yum yum: Quiche. All-butter crust. Very-browned onions, butternut squash, Swiss cheese. Eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and this time I remembered to add some nutmeg. Very, very satisfying on a bitterly cold day!

Also a good way to use leftovers, though some things go better together than others.

What’s your all-time favorite combo for filling for quiche, please share!

9 Likes

I quite liked the bacon and onion ones I would get next door to the game shop where I took the kid for pokemon cards.

3 Likes

Sausages and bacon. It’s a cross between a square quiche with thin pastry and a thick frittata.

2 Likes

Spinach/chard, caramelized onions, emmentaler/gruyere with or without bacon crumbled on top for textural contrast.

8 Likes

Very stiff cheese and grated onion, extra black pepper. Also salted tomato and zucchini with water drained.

I hate meat in quiche but love anything egg-related.

7 Likes

I make crustless quiche and tend to keep it simple: onions, cheese, herbs, mushrooms, sometimes sundried tomatoes or vegan-approximation-of-ground-beef-ish-crumbles.

7 Likes

I don’t hate it but it does get a case of the sogs in there, so it goes on the side. Usually quiche or frittata is the protein on the plate if that’s what I’m making, though a light serving of a cured meat can be nice. Sometimes I’ll sneak it in, like an anchovy dressing on a roquette salad.

5 Likes

So when does a quiche or frittata become a pie?

Coz I might have to make myself a proper Kiwi style soss egg & bacon pie now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Personal divisions? Quiche is custardy, frittata is baked scrambled eggs with way too much cheese to be healthy, pie is apple or banana.

7 Likes

Banana pie? Like, meat pie with banana instead of HLA & gravy?

4 Likes

Might could work; run up a couple test batches and I’ll tell you which to keep.

Don’t forget I’m in a land of plantains, so garlic- banana-shrimp mixed sounds about right to me.

8 Likes

It’s purely decorative. Just for looking at.

9 Likes

Philistine.

4 Likes

Thin sliced plantain would make an awesome topping for a meat & tater pie.

5 Likes

Mofongo is either a tedious bland slog like eating a gallon of gruel, or it’s AMAZING.

Stolen pic of awesomeness from web:

7 Likes