Cooking (not just dinner)

Quite a bit too late, but I did the corned beef and cabbage, with potatoes, a corned chicken version for the husband, and some soda bread, washed down with a guiness, because I’m just that predictable. It was good.

8 Likes

I’d love to know anything you can tell me.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how many pieces of hot, buttered, sourdough toast I can eat in one sitting, but I think this morning I’m going to find out.

14 Likes

You’ve just reminded me that I’ve got a heel of sourdough left myself. And I can’t make a new one until the old one is finished, right? So, I guess I’ll take one for the team, just like you!

8 Likes

ALL, the answer is all of them. You wouldn’t want a hot buttered piece of sourdough toast to go to waste…i mean it is practically a duty, a delicious buttery duty.

7 Likes

I put good money on ‘seven’ and won’t even be sad if that’s low. For science!

5 Likes

“All” turned out to be accurate as I finished the loaf. Seven could be correct as well, I neglected to keep actual count of the pieces. In total a whole cafetière of strong coffee, slightly more than half a boule, and probably 1/3 of a stick of butter.

I needed a good lie-down this afternoon.

ETA: I just thought through trips to the toaster, I think you may have nailed it at seven!

8 Likes

Cassoulet is the bomb. I make one with pork cheeks, apple wedges and scrumpy in it. There’s always a fight for seconds (I fuckin’ love pork cheeks).

2 Likes

That sounds fantastic. Apples and pork are just so good together. I do chicken thighs, sausage, salt pork, and lamb bits when I have them.

1 Like

I think I’m going to try and make this tonight… although all I have are yukon gold potatoes… Anyone ever made these?

4 Likes

Never heard of it before, but it looks GOOD!

Yukon Gold won’t cook right for this, though. You’ll need Russet-type potatoes.

5 Likes

I have! That was the recipe I followed, which worked other than they took fairly longer to finish in the oven so I needed to keep an eye on the amount of stock.

Also don’t set the skillet on the stove, turn around, come back and pick it up with a good solid grip before you realize it’s a 425° piece of metal.

4 Likes

the temperature when it’s unimportant if one talks about Celsius or Fahrenheit. ouch.

5 Likes

It’s even bad enough in Kelvin!

7 Likes

It’s about 25 degrees* short** of proper cooking temperature for most things.

*Kelvin isn’t measured in degrees
**Celsius. 45 degrees Fahrenheit

1 Like

But when the thing being cooked is the hand used to grab the pan off the stove? Yeah, it’s hot enough!

4 Likes

Yay Chef John!

3 Likes

I tried it with the yukons, and they turned out pretty good, actually. I will pick up some russetts for the next time I make them. I say it’s worth the time to make.

4 Likes

Good to know!

2 Likes