Cooking (not just dinner)

Dang, I was gonna post about the most amazing curry I’ve ever made, but it really doesn’t measure up to doughnuts made with a 3D-printed mold… sigh.

8 Likes

oh, we love curries, don’t let that stop you.

i ALMOST posted the ultimate sharp white cheddar mac and cheese and peas the other day, because comfort food perfection.

3 Likes

ooooh! do post please!

this was a screaming hot green coconut curry with chicken and much to my astonishment a big fat tin of diced tomatoes. whooop! i’ve been living off it for two days now…

4 Likes

Curries are awesome, lets see it😊

1 Like

This is the sad, sad amount of leftover sauce.

Basically it was onions and garlic, sauteed for a bit with green curry paste. Yes, I know. I did experiment for a while with curries made by roasting whole spices and so on, but in the end realized that I’d never come up with anything as good as what was prepared by someone’s grandma in the basement suite.

Anyway, once that mixture smelled good enough to sell my own mother for, I tossed in some cut-up chicken and let it cook a bit. Then I threw in godhelpme a big fat tin of diced tomatoes and an entire can of delicious lovely excellent coconut milk. I left the whole lot to simmer and think about its behaviour for about a half an hour or so – however long it takes to chop an evening’s worth of firewood.
It was screaming hot and soooooo delicious. I’m already sad with the knowledge that tomorrow’s dinner is the last hurrah.

7 Likes

I dehydrated some scotch bonnet peppers last night. Each pepper was washed and cut into about 10 strips, then placed in the dehydrator.

Funny thing is - the smell from the dehydrator was really nice. Fruity, peppery - the scotch bonnet ideal in every way. But when I went to wash my cutting board with hot water, I felt like a swat team had deployed tear gas into the kitchen. I was all tearing up, nose running, coughing, telling the kids to stay a little further away. It was surprisingly intense

Anyway, I’ve had the plan for a spicy tamarind blanche beer kicking around in my head for a while. This weekend I might actually have time to follow through

6 Likes

Second baking practical exam finished. I am now a qualified baker’s assistant.

18 Likes

Congrats! Those iced almond cakes at the back look delish!

7 Likes

Chelsea buns. They were delicious.

9 Likes

7 Likes

Did you cross post this in the victory thread? Because that is

7 Likes

I did not.

4 Likes

Normal people eat the Easter bunny ears first:

Not normal people forgo the chocolate bunny for the real thing:

Happy Easter, Passover, belated solstice, nothing, or anything, everyone!

7 Likes

Just attempted to make halvah, using this recipe, I’ll let you know if it turns out in a few hours after it has cooled.

8 Likes

Please do: I love halvah!

1 Like

My brother-in-law liked to refer to halvah as “wall mortar”, so I didn’t have high hopes when I tried it for the first time. But I had the good fortune to try some nearly fresh and loved it. I guess it’s one of those things where when it’s good, it’s realky good, while horrible renditions also exist?

3 Likes

I’m not sure about how quickly sesame seeds go rancid once they’re ground (into oil or tahini), but that would be my guess: if your only exposure was to halvah that had been made in another country and then shipped over, well, it probably would be dried out and not particularly tasty.

3 Likes

The 133rd st Manhattan Fairway used to have wrapped fresh halvah slices the size of a thick bread loaf slice. Dark chocolate covered. I used to rummage the whole pile to find the ends. It was fantastic, a different animal than the OK candy bar type.

We had the family of my daughter’s best friend over for brunch today. They’re Uzbek, and brought over a pile of fresh made Samsa, little beef pies made with fila type pastry dough. OMG.

2 Likes

I gotta try this! we always have to go to Turkey and bring it back in huge blocks. It is my favorite breakfast food besides rose jam.

1 Like

oh gosh I’ve never had the chocolate covered kind, that sounds amazing