Cop Cody Wood spent a year falsely arresting people on DUI and drugs charges

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/19/cop-cody-wood-spent-a-year-falsely-arresting-people-on-dui-and-drugs-charges.html

14 Likes

The FOX 5 I-Team took a look as well. In 2023, Wood made 69 DUI arrests. That’s twice as many (31) as the rest of the Commerce Police Department combined.

This should have set off some kind of investigation long before it did. It shouldn’t take having this happen to another cop’s niece before someone notices. ACAB.

23 Likes

Shouldn’t, but time and time again it’s been shown that nothing a cop does warrants an investigation if it doesn’t hurt other cops.

22 Likes

Wood wrongly charged a soldier with possession of methamphetamines after a roadside test showed a bottle of melatonin was fentanyl.

Wait, why would you charge them with meth possession when the test gave a false positive for fentanyl?

(Eyes bottle of melatonin,) Guess I gotta be careful in my travels.

8 Likes

FTP-403x403

15 Likes

I always wonder how common stuff like this is, given how egregious it has to be (even just relative to the norm) and the extraordinary sets of circumstances that have to occur for it to come to light, much less actually be stopped (even temporarily, as I’m assuming this cop will continue to find work in another department somewhere). How many orders of magnitude worse must the problem be than what gets reported, with all that being the case? There must be tons of other cops doing exactly the same thing, but lucky enough to avoid charging a cop’s (favored) relative, and even more doing it on a scale that’s not easily detectable (e.g. only filing false charges when someone particularly annoys them or triggers one of their bigotries - something I suspect is downright routine).

And if other cops in the department are also doing this, albeit on a smaller scale…

4 Likes

There’s a reason DUI lawyers typically recommend declining field sobriety tests, even when it might result in an automatic license suspension.

5 Likes

Maybe bankrupting Commerce into Insolvency might do just as well.

2 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: All financial penalties arising from police misconduct should come from Police Union and pension fund coffers.

10 Likes

Or make police carry individual liability insurance. The government can’t seem to police the police but I’m pretty sure the insurance industry can.

4 Likes

You might have something there. The other best outcome would be for the insurance company to deny the claim and the money come directly from the LEO of their union/pension fund anyway.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.