Cop "fired" after fabricating story of insulting McDonalds coffee cup

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/31/cop-fired-after-fabricatin.html

4 Likes

F*cking pig, indeed.

24 Likes

Local news has identifiers, anyways, and as the force only had six people and now has five, it might be easy for local news to name him:
https://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article238845398.html

That said, having seen firsthand the “we have to protect a shitty person because of HR reasons” excuse, it is probably overapplied by lawsuit-shy organizations.

7 Likes

Well, this list could take a while…

30 Likes

One cop who obviously will never be clever enough for detective grade…

Law & May I Upsize Your Order…bum bum.

10 Likes

Murder someone on the job and the worst a cop will face is “paid administrative leave.” Deface a coffee cup, and give bad PR to McDonald’s, however, and you are immediately fired. More respect for coffee cups and Corporate Public Image in this country than for human life.

33 Likes

Not entirely certain it was bad PR for McD’s as much as made the higher ups look bad. That is the kiss of death in a fascist organization.

14 Likes

The cop “is no longer employed” by Herington Police Department, says Chief Brian Hornaday

He’s over in the next county’s PD or sheriff’s dept. now.

That’s right. One of the primary rules of guard labour is that you don’t risk making the corporation or wealthy person who pays you look bad. This mook didn’t understand that the local McDonald’s franchisee was his boss as much as it is the boss of the employees he tried to frame, but his chief did.

32 Likes

It would be wonderful if he ended up working at McDonalds instead of just quietly moving to another police department.

So… Chief Brian Hornaday is the one that first posted the photos to social media, won’t say who the cop was, assures everyone the cop involved “is no longer employed by them” and says “If you can’t trust the cops, who can you trust?”

Fucking hell, this guy needs to be fired as well. In fact, the whole department should be scrutinized if this is how the guy at the top acts.

16 Likes

Why is “fired” in quotation marks?

2 Likes

Related:

7 Likes

Unfortunately, the damage is done. The version of this story that confirms peoples’ beliefs that cops are under attack already went viral, and that’s what people will remember. Corrections like this never make the rounds to the same magnitude and the incorrect versions will continue to circulate in conservative echo chambers for years or even decades.

17 Likes

“A lie can make it 'round the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes” is a truism that is proven over and over. Not just this timeline, but it does seem more pronounced.

14 Likes

I would imagine it’s because:

1. No identity is given, so it can’t be independently confirmed; and
  2. Even if this cop has been let go by this small police force, there’s probably a town just around the next bend that’s hiring…
5 Likes

Or, perhaps, no time at all!

2 Likes

if you can’t trust the cops, who can you trust,

27 Likes

I think it’s because he wasn’t actually fired, he resigned.

8 Likes

He should have killed someone for no reason during a routine traffic stop instead, would have kept his job for sure

5 Likes

his employment there would certainly have mcdonalds employees wondering “could i make a shive from french fries?”

2 Likes

I think you mean trading.

6 Likes