Cop investigated for issuing possibly-undeserved speeding ticket as revenge against driver who flipped him off (video)

Originally published at: Cop investigated for issuing possibly-undeserved speeding ticket as revenge against driver who flipped him off (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I really do think that the fact that cops can issue speeding tickets on their own say-so and courts will enforce them is the kind of the thing that would truly horrify the founders.

5 Likes

This kind of thing happens an awful lot. I’m only surprised that the cop only gave him a speeding ticket. I read about all sorts of cases where the cops arrested/beat people for flipping them off. There’s a lot of lawsuits (and payouts) over these, but what do the cops care? They punished the person who “disrespected” them, and it’s no skin off their nose if the city has to pay.

5 Likes

At the end of the video, it shows it wasn’t a speeding ticket, but a citation for reckless driving. The cop said he was giving the driver a break, but the video declares that it’s still 2 points on the driving record and the fine is the same.

My take about the driver is that he baits cops. He’s outfitted with front and rear dashcams and he flips off the cop as he passes by. Then the cops ask for his license and reg, and he simply ‘presents’ them through the window. Still, the cops shouldn’t be taking anything personally and citing on revenge. If the driver were black or brown, this would have gone much worse.

3 Likes

That headline is rather hedging for a blog that rightly rails against passive voice reporting.

How about just “Flipped off cop issues undeserved revenge ticket” @pesco

2 Likes

Betty White GIF by TV Land Classic

I mean, we know he is.

4 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

… the founders of New Jersey?

3 Likes

Absolutely he is baiting cops! And I applaud him for it. If they were professionals they would deal with it professionally. I like that there is someone out there exposing crappy cops that abuse their authority.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.