Cop punches young woman in the head for underage drinking on the beach

Policing 101: Nuh-uh. He started it!

5 Likes

I think being glad nobody was shot is a cop out and misses the fact that cops can act like gang members from a protection racket and not ever get in trouble for the violence and death they inflict on others.

5 Likes

I was thinking. Is there an angry generation watching the American Dream slip away? Brought up in halcyon days, with imagery and media that pumped the promise of sunny, fun beaches and music into heads, but the reality of today is so bad that they angrily assault the world at large?

The cops have never been open to having their methods examined, but this is nuts.

Maybe there should be an international exchange program so they can see the way civilised police forces operate.

5 Likes

Why would a civilized country allow such a gross and corrupting force to even visit for the weekend?

11 Likes

No my advice would be to eliminate police forces at the municipal level. Merge them into state police. Then apply federal standards for the training and operations of state police. Keep it up for a couple of decades and you should be seeing an improvement.

5 Likes

Well, there’s this:

But, unfortunately, there is also this:

10 Likes

Tout le monde
Déteste la police.

1 Like

15 Likes

A civilized country doesn’t. But you’re talking about America, which abandoned civility a while ago.

2 Likes

Living in a country where the legal age for drinking beer and wine is 16, this sounds even more absurd.

6 Likes

Sigh, there is nothing any investigation can find that makes it acceptable to beat a citizen.

13 Likes

Then the cops still should not have punched her. Cops should use force only to prevent harm to themselves or others, not to take revenge on someone who used force on them.

Side note that the Milgram experiment is highly questionable. They falsified data, they didn’t stick to their scripts, they included as positives people who had fairly obviously caught on that it was just an experiment. The “Validity” section in the wikipedia is pretty short considering the rest of the article hinges on it. We’d never be able to replicate it with our current standards because of ethical issues. (Of course this is only to say that not nearly as many people as Milgram found are that authoritarian. It’s more like 30-35% than 70%.)

12 Likes

Israeli training? wtf. Getting ready for the rebellion. Jesus.

3 Likes

There is a voice in the video of some woman saying, "Stop resisting. " It seems like the young woman is mostly just putting her arms in front of her face to block the punches. What should a person do when a cop is hitting you? I suppose Republicans just expect folks to let cops beat them. I guess citizen are simply are simply here for cops to beat up.

9 Likes

Hey Wildwood - nice job with encouraging tourism.

I don’t know about you - but I always carry my license and passport on the beach.

3 Likes

This is an important consideration.

We need a legal distinction within “Resisting Arrest” wherein natural, instinctive, defensive motions (e.g. covering up your face, trying to keep your hands in front of your body, curling into a ball) are specifically excluded from being a chargeable offense.

Of course, we also need cops who don’t vengefully beat people, but one step at a time, you know.

11 Likes

Unfortunately, there’s a large strain of Americans who subscribe to the just world fallacy who tend to believe cops only arrest guilty people and getting beaten up by the cops is just part of the process, actual justice be damned.

9 Likes

Don’t worry. I’m sure the officer “feared for his life” so the punching was justified. /s

2 Likes

As someone from a country where the bulk of the police are federal, yet adopting many of the worst habits of US-style policing…

Ahhahahahahahahahahaha.

7 Likes

And again and again and agan.

8 Likes