Cop suspended for playing Barry White while allowing arrested couple to make-out in his patrol car

Heck, not too long ago, the police where arguing having sex with the people they arrest was ok.

6 Likes

I agree the proportionality seems wanting (especially compared to officers who commit acts of deadly force) but “cops using their position of authority to coerce people into performing sexual acts for their personal amusement/gratification” has been a very real problem too.

4 Likes

If he’d just shot them in the back there’d be no problem, but not being a dick to civilians? That’s suspension without pay.

3 Likes

10 Likes

If this is a “commanded performance” (he demanded they make out), then it would be coercive. I think the policy is in place to prevent that.

It does seem like he’s not being a jerk, and playing nice, but i have heard scary stories of arrested prostitutes ordered to make out with eachother while the arresting officer watched. I can also imagine an arresting officer coercing an arrested woman to make out with an arrested guy (think drunk tank meth-mouth homeless person) just to show people who is boss.

3 Likes

Maybe they should have stayed home to get high and watch the tube.

5 Likes

Oh no doubt. I don’t think what he did was professional and he should be written up. But I think in his case it wasn’t meanness. Probably immaturity and nostalgia taking over but I think in terms of ethics violations and the like this one is something that needs retraining and an apology to the parents of the kids and the kids themselves.

3 Likes

The Fort Pierce Police Department said it suspended Officer Doug McNeal for 20 days without pay for the ride, which captured the couple’s backseat actions on video…"

If he shot them, it would be suspended with pay.

12 Likes

I’m not sure the parents really need to get involved since both “kids” are in their 20s.

It seems likely the parents failed somewhere considering the shoplifting though.

5 Likes

I had the thought that it might be about passing contraband between them. However, it’s not like that’d be getting rid of it.

1 Like

Yeah, since they’re both in custody (for presumably the same thing), there’s not much they can do to get rid of anything. I suspect whatever the stated infraction was, it was something more broad about proper procedure (and probably not terribly applicable).

1 Like

“suspended Officer Doug McNeal for 20 days without pay for the ride”.

Right, if he had felt his life was threatened and shot both of them multiple times, 2-4 years suspension WITH pay while awaiting court trial.

3 Likes

So… beating or shooting a suspect is ok but playing music in the car gets you suspended…

dont get me wrong, but what exactly was “inappropriate” here at all?

1 Like

Wow. Whatever became of that cop that raped the suspect he had in the car? (I know, “which one?” Right?) I guess he was lucky he didn’t play Barry White while in the act.

If there’s one thing a fascist police force doesn’t find funny, it’s… anything funny.

but what exactly was “inappropriate” here at all?

A lot. If you read the article:
He did not handcuff the man.
He handcuffed the woman with her hands in front of her.
He did not use seatbelts.
He did not search them.
He let them use cigarettes.
He let them engage in sexual activity.
He was not suspended for “playing Barry White.”

And as for the “outrage”, yes it seems crazy that cops who beat/kill suspects get suspended with pay and this “nice” cop gets 3 weeks suspension without pay. However, in the former case, that involves cops who are disputing the charges. The “nice” cop has admitted his offences and is paying the penalty.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.