Cop who killed black man in his own apartment could face murder charges from new District Attorney

That was a concession to the slavers, not to the slaves. It compounded the crime.

6 Likes

Like I said, they “mattered” for census purposes.

5 Likes

This wasn’t an accident, and since the cops didn’t investigate their own, let her destroy evidence, surely there is the possibility it was premeditated.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m puzzled by the headline " Cop who killed black man in his own apartment could face murder charges" Shouldn’t that be will?

Maybe it wasn’t murder, but surely that is why we have trials?

1 Like

wouldn’t if she were a dude.

1 Like

This has taken me a while to wrap my head around. When I moved to Dallas in 1970, it made Tulsa (where we moved from) look liberal. Fortunately, I escaped to Austin in '72 for college.

1 Like

It happens. In movies.

The irony of fate,
or happy bath day.

It’s that silent “only” at the beginning that opponents claim is intended to be there by proponents, and that proponents keep pointing out specifically isn’t there, that seems to be the cause of the issues around it.

It’s always going to keep coming back to the idea that when people in power see other people raised up to meet them, it feels like they’ve lost power. It’s just, in this case, “power” is equitable to “not being assumed to be guilty and shot preemptively”.

There must be something we’re missing right? It doesn’t seem like, on the face of the facts provided, any other option is in anyway a reasonable suggestion. Hopefully whatever happens here, more details that led to the justification of not charging the killer with murder will be revealed. (though none of us expect that right? It’s pretty clearly a case of the Thin Blue Line)

In various Scandinavian countries, fines for motoring offences are proportional to the income of the convicted, so rich people pay a lot more.

3 Likes

As I understand it, under Texas law manslaughter means reckless homicide only; intentional homicide is murder. By her own statements, she deliberately shot.

3 Likes

You know, they say that increased punishment does not prevent crime, because of the general nature of the decision-making that leads to crime, but I don’t think this is true across the board. Police seem to feel that they are immune to punishment and have a right to do these things, I think that may be different psychologically than someone who decides to rob a liquor store. They should come down hard on police that do things like this.

1 Like

A lot has changed in the past 45 years.

Well the Sheriff would know. And yes, it was intentional, but what a tragic error.

desperation/impulsivity vs privilege.

“I gotta do this/I can’t stop myself” vs “I deserve to do this.”

1 Like

He was unarmed, she intended to kill him. Self -defence is not even an option here. Not first degree, premeditated murder, but murder.

2 Likes

Yea, IANAL, and I didn’t think mistaken identity would be considered murder, but the Boing disagrees.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.