NYPD cops charged with felonies after beating up mailman

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Suspended with out pay?

Well, it’s a step in the right direction :worried:

14 Likes

Where are the fucking feds in this? Aren’t they supposed to look after this?

edit - Whoops, different mailperson.

double edit - What a bunch of fucking children, somehow thinking this guy had anything to do with the guy who killed those cops.

9 Likes

Not to be confused with the other mail carrier recently beat up by NYPD. It’s getting hard to keep track.

27 Likes

I suspect the fact the victim was a USPS employee is the only reason the cops have been charged.

If it had been just some random delivery driver, they would likely have got the usual: two-weeks of administrative leave during the conduct of an internal investigation that would return a finding of “no wrongdoing.” Several months later, they would receive citations for bravery and a glowing annual review.

15 Likes

Great, so all it takes to get even a crumb of justice regarding the police is to ALSO be affiliated with one of the few remaining powerful unions in the U.S. Hopefully in this APWU meets the FOP Kaiju, FOP gets a big fucking bite taken out of it’s ass.

5 Likes

Our apathy means we deserve it. Collective governance demands collective accountability. What’s the alternative? Immunize government from civil suit and make things less just? I’d say we should de-immunize the cops, but they’re already don’t have immunity for this kind of thing. Juries need to learn to convict cops, and people need to know that if they’re ever on a grand jury, that they can refuse to be a tool for the prosecutor’s office.

By the way, prosecutors are election sensitive. So are judges, sheriffs, and others. There’s no electoral college, every vote counts, and these people are often much more sensitive to community action. Right now, the only people donating to their campaigns are former LEOs, judges, lawyers, corporations (not nearly as much as in national or even state level politics), and the odd citizen who actually understands the importance of these local races.

8 Likes

Moral of the story is “don’t beat up the mailman”.

Fuck man.

1 Like

Isn’t it a federal crime to assault a Postal Carrier?

You done fucked up, bros.

5 Likes

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

Jackbooted thugs are another matter altogether, however.

4 Likes

> I suspect the fact the victim was a USPS employee is the only reason the cops have been charged.

I agree.

> If it had been just some random delivery driver, they would likely have got the usual: two-weeks of administrative leave during the conduct of an internal investigation that would return a finding of “no wrongdoing.” Several months later, they would receive citations for bravery and a glowing annual review.

Yes, the punishment will be much more sever in this case - they’ll remain suspended without pay, and will go to trial. In court, their arguments that they were scared for their lives will convince enough jurors that they will be found not guilty, whereupon they will have to complete lots of paperwork and wait several months for all the back pay they’re entitled to.

Of course, they might actually get convicted of a lesser crime, so they’ll have to wait until their sentence of probation is over before they sue the city. In this case it might be several years before they get their jobs back and all that back pay they’re entitled to

But although it is rare, we cans still hope for true justice, where they are convicted of the serious charges, get fired, go to prison, and can’t get their jobs back, so they’re forced to move and work for a completely different LE organization in a different county

8 Likes

So a felony conviction will get them automatically fired. I would hope that a conviction on a perjury charge would also get them fired. Because once a popo has been convicted of perjury, no district attorney will bring forward a case that depends on their testimony. There’s just no real chance to convict on the testimony of a proven lying sack o’ s***. The effectively can’t do the job that they are being paid for.

6 Likes

Law & Order: Postal Inspection Service.
There are two different and equal parts of the criminal justice system in the city. The police who beat up random people, and the Postal Inspection Service who go after those police when the random people are postal workers. This is the story of the PIS. womp womp

14 Likes

Probably. At least, I would certainly hope so.

I would certainly hope that assaulting a uniformed Federal employee in the execution of their duties would carry a penalty at least as harsh as that for someone who kicks back at a police dog.

But those dogs have pretty good unions, so who knows.

3 Likes

It is a felony when they are on duty. From the article it appears that he was leaving work at the time, so it sounds like it isn’t in this case. There was an old comedy routine about that. Something along the lines of “Is that your last letter?” “yes.” – sounds of struggle.

Apparently they forgot the first rule of being a jackbooted bully: “Pick on the weak and unprotected targets”.

6 Likes

I did not know police could be charged with perjury.

5 Likes

Also, of coures, that they have it on video and audio, and they lied about it in their report…

3 Likes