Cops pepper-spray 15-year-old girl who fell off her bike

I imagine that there was a police academy recruiter waiting by the agency’s exit.

31 Likes

I think the cop’s forgot that the reason they were trying to detain her was for her own well being. I would consider this a reasonable response to an adult who had just committed a crime and was resisting arrest in the same way that the girl was, but in this case it was a minor who may have recently sustained head injuries.

For anyone who didn’t watch the video, the description is not completely accurate, the police did speak calmly and try to convince her to cooperate throughout the encounter and the only violent action on their part was the inexcusable use of pepper-spray. The problem with their methods was that the girl’s own resistance could have posed a life threatening danger if she had internal injuries.

I don’t know exactly what the cops should have done in this situation, ideally she needed to be examined and her parents notified, but once it became impossible to detain her in a safe manner, even just letting her go would have been preferable to this.

4 Likes

Like I’ve said in other posts, the beatings will continue as long as we don’t reform the entire organization. These aren’t “loose cannons”, they’re normal. Good cops are the exception and are typically punished for “narcing” on unacceptable behavior.

Most IA complaints actually come from other cops. Proving that the whole system is broken. Possibly not even worth fixing. It may be time to just scrap the whole thing and start over with a system that’s actually good.

19 Likes

Like I said, these cops are just mind-numbingly stupid. They could easily have just asked her to talk with and get checked out by a firefighter. Someone she’s much more likely to trust. Since firefighters aren’t well known for killing people for no reason.

26 Likes

Hmm, my interracial-lesbian-married-couple-for-Trump friends are visiting Hagerstown right now… Guess they wanted a preview of Trumerica.

10 Likes

I couldn’t watch it either. The police have failed in their mission to protect citizens. They are causing more injury that they are worth. This whole justice system needs to be turned on it’s head. It’s time to start over.

9 Likes

With the stories of police raping underage girls, I can totally understand why she wouldn’t want to go with them after a head injury. Not to mention that even in emergency situations you are responsible for your medical costs. I have decent insurance at a simple visit starts at $200+. Without decent insurance it can be in the tens of thousands of dollars. A debt that can ruin your ability to get student loans, move out or try to d so many other things with your life.

29 Likes

27 Likes

at 3:00, we first see the girl in question interacting with the cops (she first appears in the video at 0:42); the cop wearing the body cam walks over to the girl and his partner, who is holding onto the bike’s handlebars and is aggressively in her personal space. A few seconds later, she gets off the bike and starts walking away, as mentioned. At 3:20, she turns around and gets back on the dropped bike. At 3:28, the body-cam wearing officer has initiated a compliance grapple and both of them start grabbing at her. By 5:30, the sound of handcuffs being closed are clearly audible over the weeping. They initiated violence on a minor and their actions were consistently aggressive and dominating. So they make have spoken calmly, but their actions speak much louder than their words.

40 Likes

Right, you got a pretty good take on this. Also keep in mind that the girl did cause a traffic accident resulting in property damage. Isn’t she liable for that? And she was trying to leave the scene of an accident. The driver of the car she hit also mentioned they had to convince her to stay as she really wanted to leave before the cops arrived. Still while the cops had reason to retain her, they should have better techniques for restraining a minor then these guys demonstrated.

5 Likes

A child on a bike caused a traffic accident? Why wasn’t it the fault of the adult driving a car?

The number one damage was to the child. She flew through the air and hit her head. Do you not register this girl as a human being?

47 Likes

HOWTO: Create Lifelong Hatred

26 Likes

Throw the Tea Party into the hahbah

23 Likes

Yes, that is a good summation of the events. Once the girl attempted to leave and refused to tell them her parents names, it turned into an arrest instead of assistance.

I can’t get over the casual use of pepper spray, it is a violent action that should only be taken if they would otherwise have to shoot someone. I can’t tell if cops don’t know this or just don’t care.

6 Likes

Didn’t you see the driver of the car was a white man? Of course it’s the black person’s fault.

23 Likes

Because we intentionally reject smart applicants? https://boingboing.net/2014/12/08/reminder-some-us-police-depar.html

At least in some places.

12 Likes

The white guy at the start of the video reached for his back pocket right in front of a cop and was not murdered.

35 Likes

You mean, to get her medical attention, their stated reason? Riiiight? Yeah.

20 Likes

Being a teenager doesn’t mean you get to ignore the law. She can damage a guy’s car and just walk away? How is that right? He’s going to be on the hook for damage to his car that is in no way his fault. The fact that she ran into him and possibly hurt herself, and she claimed not to be hurt, does not somehow excuse her from causing the accident and damaging his car.

7 Likes

That’s not what the cops were responding to.

13 Likes