Cops pepper-spray 15-year-old girl who fell off her bike

Yeah it seems like giving cops non-lethal weapons to help deal with people instead of having to use their guns has resulted in giving them something that they also see as a means of providing punishment to people who aren’t, in the cops’ minds, fully compliant with all their requests.

2 Likes

I’m going straight for the ad hominem. What a turd you’ve dropped there. Quite impressive.

10 Likes

Well that’s just them covering their asses for getting out of control and punishing her for not being fully cooperative. They are trying to make themselves sound compassionate, thinking that their false claims of being concerned about her health sound better than saying they were holding her for violating the law.

1 Like
10 Likes

after the officer grabs at her she says, “i already gave you my name” – and also something before like “don’t call my mother.”

i think they already had her information. the cop with the camera didn’t seem to discuss anything with the cop who already took her statement: he just jumped right in.

also troubling, the white guy driving the car said he had to almost restrain her ( or something to that effect ) in order to stop her from getting away.

a kid runs into you – if that’s what happened – with a bicycle. you ask: are you okay. you don’t grab them and call the cops. for what? your insurance? the cop didn’t even pause to follow up when the driver admitted he tried to manhandle her.

24 Likes

Change begins at home.

4 Likes

How am I doing that?

If there’s one consistent thread in many of the recent acts of cop brutality, it is that the cops are obviously inadequately trained.

This was obviously not the right way to handle the situation. The cop who shot an 8 year old and drove away obviously panicked. And need I mention the therapist in Florida, the father at a traffic stop in Ohio, or … ?

Cops aren’t being trained properly before they are handed a license to kill.

18 Likes

Sorry, I can’t follow this anymore. The way these comments work the replies don’t seem lined up. It looks like me replies are going all over the place.

2 Likes

Goodnight, sweet prince.

24 Likes

21 Likes

Wow.

Just…

Wow.

20 Likes

You’re trying to draw attention from the fact that the cops decided to manhandle and abuse a little girl, in favor of pursuing your own narrative. It’s pretty common. You’re trying to place blame for police violence on a 15 year old girl.

“Sure she was treated poorly, but you have to treat criminals badly.”

40 Likes

I don’t know about where this was recorded, but in some jurisdictions the laws are just what you outlined. In Massachusetts, where I was a bike messenger, the laws stated that in any collision between an automobile and a bicycle, the driver of the auto is automatically at fault for enforcement and insurance purposes.

IMO this in no way excuses reckless cycling, but hardly anyplace actually trains cyclists in any meaningful way. They often occupy a legal grey area where they legally operate in traffic just as car drivers do, except that nobody ever enforces this. It tends to be completely inconsistent.

17 Likes

first of all, the cop with the body cam never established whether the girl had given her information or not.

second of all, when you act belligerent with someone you are going to trigger a fight or flight response. “it” didn’t turn into an arrest – the cops turned “it” into an arrest. over a dinged car.

how about this:
girl: “don’t f’ing touch me.”
cop: “okay. nobody is going to touch you. we just want to talk with you more.” or, better: “we just want to make sure you’re okay.”

how about this:
girl walks away.
cop follows at a distance.

situations don’t make themselves. the cops here aren’t even acting like adults, let alone trained officers.

42 Likes

pardon me, but what crime are you talking about? trying to go home on her own instead of taking an ambulance ride her family might not be able to afford to a hospital visit they might not be able to afford either? to echo someone earlier in the thread, why couldn’t one of the emts have looked at her? i’m sorry to be so short with you about this but everything else you had to say got swallowed up by the ludicrous contention that she committed a crime.

24 Likes

We got you fam.

7 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed due to a large number of community flags.

It’s worse than that, I think: they aren’t just getting poor training, they’re also being poorly screened.
Whether this is because nobody sane wants to be a cop in the US anymore, I dunno.

3 Likes