Cops shoot and kill student on campus

You seem to be suggesting blame upon a mentally ill person who was blatantly murdered. All the cops had to do was take a step backwards and keep talking.

15 Likes

I am going off descriptions of the person asking to be shot, and critiquing the response of the officers to use lethal force.

3 Likes

I have watched several videos of this incident.

There was no justification for shooting. None.

Even a taser would have been excessive.

5 Likes

Yet another shining example of why you should never call the police in an emergency. They might show up and kill people because the pigs were too stupid to stand a few feet back.

17 Likes

Unless the emergency situation is more dangerous than the police, (such as an active shooter), this seems more and more true every day.

6 Likes

Just so. With as many guns as people in the country, US cops must make the assumption that ANYONE can be armed with one, and so we get the high death rate of unarmed people in police contacts. Just wait till the GOP gets its way with H.R.38 - Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017, and anyone in any state may be carrying. Get the body bags ready.

2 Likes

Frankly, I don’t give a damn.

18 Likes

What ever happened to tasers?

1 Like

I can’t say.

But what I can say is: talking is so much more effective at saving suicidal people than shooting at them that it’s completely outrageous that the shootings ever happen.

14 Likes

Scout Shultz did not identify as male. They identified as intersex.

13 Likes

I wonder when health insurers will start issuing body armor as part of a sensible regime to treat severe depression and similar?

2 Likes

I’ve had a hell of a day at work and i’m just not up to watching videos on this if you pardon me.

I would have preferred the responding officers to have actually tried to de-escalate, used mace, anything other than shooting. Its very senseless that someone’s life was ended

5 Likes
  1. About the knife being a multitool that was “open” … don’t many/most multitools have to be opened twice to expose a blade? Once to separate the two major segments, and a second time to pull out a blade? In the picture I saw, it was only open part way, with no blade exposed, so if people are saying he had an open knife, that’s not really how it was.

2. The maker ethos is strong at Georgia Tech (a.k.a. North Avenue Trade School). As I understand it, it’s not unusual for people to be walking around with multitools, wirecutters, vice grips, ammeters, etc., etc. I wouldn’t say carrying a multitool is the same thing as “having a knife”.

3. I read that the initial call to police was about someone with a knife and a gun. As with Tamir Rice, once that frame is established, the police are already well escalated into the danger zone.

Anyway, it’s an insane tragedy that police couldn’t take an extra half hour, hour or day to save this person’s life.

13 Likes

I’m wondering if there isn’t another video BB can link to, since the one above is on the youtube channel of someone who also posts videos like “Get Rich By Race Baiting” and “Exposing Antifa.”

Also wondering why the cameraman speaks Russian. Probably just a Russian student but it really boosts my paranoia.

1 Like

One of my friend’s fathers, who was a judge, once told me that a common defense of civilians who end up on trial for shooting people in domestic violence situations is: “Well…he told me to go ahead and shoot him, so I did…” and seem to think it should exonerate them…

3 Likes

True, but remember a lot of these officers tried and failed at becoming city police officers. I had a friend who applied for the police academy, but failed the Psych test.He then attempted other Cop/Security jobs, including colleges. Kind of makes you wonder about those that just make it.

4 Likes

Fuck the police.

6 Likes

I can’t watch this.

How we handle situations like these and violence in general needs a good long national review.

These are cops who appear to have necessary training

“police officer and public safety officer candidates must successfully pass a polygraph assessment, drug screen and physical exam, and psychological testing. If not already GA POST-certified, police officer candidates must graduate from 11 weeks of training at the Police Academy before they enter the 12-14 week GTPD Field Training program; and”

So - what is the training they receive for situations like these?

And as for violence on this campus in general- their regs say you can’t carry a bladed weapon over 2 inches - you can’t carry tasers - but since the “campus carry” bill passed this year everyone can concealed carry on campus.

4 Likes

What about batons? I assume that’s what at least one of the long things clipped on the back of their belts is, right?

I can’t imagine a fully trained, 200+ pound police officer would have THAT much trouble subduing a much-smaller person holding a multitool, especially when his partners were there to back him up.

If nothing else they could have just kept backing away from the person until there was no way to keep a safe distance. No one else was within range of the knife (even if it was open) and they had no obligation to subdue them immediately.

16 Likes

This is one of the biggest gun myths that I see perpetuated/repeated all the time. There are a couple of problems with it. 1) a smaller target (say a foot) is really hard to hit with a moving target in a stress situation. Hell, people miss center mass all the time in stress situations, and that’s much larger. and 2) shooting someone anywhere can definitely be fatal. “just shoot him in the leg”… and damage the femoral artery, and dead. etc…

The issue is that you don’t shoot at anyone ever unless they need to be dead.

Why the pepper spray mentioned elsewhere wasn’t used, I have no idea. If this multitool was closed (also not watching the video), then the cops could have let him advance until he was close enough that they could tackle his ass before he could get it opened.

It sounds like this guy wanted suicide by cop, and unfortunately the cops couldn’t figure out a way to conclude the situation without giving him what he wanted.

20 Likes