Cork has an entire museum dedicated to butter, and it's weirdly wonderful

Originally published at: Cork has an entire museum dedicated to butter, and it's weirdly wonderful | Boing Boing

7 Likes

TIL there’s a town (“census-designated place”) in North Carolina called Butters. If there isn’t a museum there dedicated to cork (the wood, not the city), I will be disappointed.

Pretty sure I’ll be disappointed.

13 Likes

I would be amazed if you ended up anywhere other than a pub on that trip. I did a bike trip around Ireland in 2000, and I couldn’t believe how many pubs were in that area. Dingle has one pub for every 50 residents:

6 Likes

Reminds me of that Rich Hall joke;

“I saw a headline that said Cork Man Drowns and I thought, HOW!?”

17 Likes

Is this the “plain butter” or “salted butter” museum?

3 Likes

I was once in Cork for a job interview, and it’s true that if you’re ever in Cork, you’ve got to visit the Butter Museum

6 Likes

I didn’t even know it existed and I go to Cork for work fairly regularly.

For me it’s a good food town in the first place though I rarely get to eat there any more, I don’t stay over.

6 Likes

Ghee, you need to spread yourself around a bit more. Or for our US friends, you need to stick around a bit more.

8 Likes

Could you clarify that joke? I’ve been churning this around in my mind and I just don’t get it. Even though you’re really milking the concept.

7 Likes

Ok, dairy, do you want a pat on the head, too?

5 Likes

Chill! And stop talking crock.

4 Likes

Ah, I see you can dish it out … but really you are only being margarinely funny.

3 Likes

Soda Bread, thick with salted Irish butter.

Amazeballs!

(As they say in Dublin)

2 Likes

“…a few hitchhikers who invented us back to a pub…”

Invented you back to a pub? Is that some euphemism that I’m missing?

3 Likes

e2e5356afbac7095fe32129129c6f794

2 Likes

That was a rabbit hole! Visited the Butter Museum site. My favorite fact is that Kerrygold is a national brand (The Irish Dairy Board). Buy that brand of butter and cheese, and you support Ireland.

And then I discovered the Cork Heritage Pub Trail website. That sure kept me busy for a couple of hours. Sadly, it appears the two websites (the other: https://cork.guide/heritage-pubs/) devoted to the pubs haven’t been updated since 2018. Can’t imagine too much has changed, though.

Man, I gotta rewatch Psych at some point. I wonder whether it holds up

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.