Corn is a healthy vegetable snack, right...?

“Hey! I just got here! What are you guys talking about?”

10 Likes

To which I must add the classic:

Intelligence is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put any in the fruit salad.

8 Likes

12 Likes

You mean, this autumn? If I do it will wait until after the A1C.

1 Like

Speaking as a “people from Chicago”, I remember Garrett’s popcorn shop, but I’ve never seen this mix. Maybe it is a tradition from after I left Chicago?

Don’t get me started on drupes.

2 Likes

I love that word.
I’ve always thought they sound like the wet blanket of the fruit world.
Like, “Oh, no! Who invited the cherries to the party?!?”

2 Likes

That’s mostly what I’m into. But it’s also fun the number of berries, nuts and other things that are not those things because they’re drupes.

5 Likes

Oh noes! We’ve been druped again! Big Fruit just wants us to buy any reproductive organ of a plant!

5 Likes

Figs contain drupes!

2 Likes

asparagus GIF

6 Likes

I doubt it. My mother was eating it in the 1950’s.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be the first thing to have gone completely past me. When I was very young my father worked on N. Dearborn, and when I went to the office with him we’d stop at Garrett’s. It was a great place to get really good popcorn balls to give out on Halloween, back before we invented scares about needles and razor blades.

Is that the original location on Madison between State & Dearborn in the Loop?

I think that people were mixing the two flavors for a long time before it became an official menu item. I’ve just done a quick search and it was founded in 1949 with both of those flavors (plus plain and buttered) available from the start, so my mother’s memories of moving to Chicago in the early 1950’s and eating Garrett’s mix (because it was a cheap and tasty way to fill your stomach) aren’t belied by any inconvenient facts.

Founded by a woman, BTW. And passed down to her daughter. Yay!

7 Likes

Yes, his office was a block or two north of Madison. To my young eyes and stomach Garretts was a magical place. Does the shop still exist there?

We only ever bought the caramel, but they sold others so not surprising if people bought and mixed them. If that was a common Chicago thing at the time it passed completely by my family and my friends.

It’s still there, basically, but instead of being its own building right at the corner – remember, this is the 0N/0S/0E/0W corner in Chicago – it’s in the much larger building on the same corner, one storefront east.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.