The chumbox's favorite vegetable-hating doctor tracked down

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/10/the-chumboxs-favorite-vegeta.html

3 Likes

The answer is: Corn.

I only know this because this article came up on /r/savedyouaclick.

17 Likes

You’ve really been on fire the last few days. This is just beautiful.

28 Likes

Scorn corn.

5 Likes

Dude I sat through like 5 min of a video, and they still hadn’t told me. So I was like, “Must not be THAT important.” and clicked off and started surfin porrrrr…uh…I mean, BoingBoing.

12 Likes

I know you’re just telling us what’s the answer to the clickbait is (so I’m not arguing with you) but yeah that’s sorta BS. There’s nothing wrong with eating corn. Especially in its vegetable format. It’s just got a bad reputation because of its highly processed usage as as a sweetener. Which is really to say, high levels of sugar in general are bad for you. But corn syrup and even corn meal are pretty far removed (and not even from the same type of corn as) the vegetable sweet corn. Although you might wanna look at the ingredients if you buy it in a can because I’m pretty sure they add sugar to some of that stuff.

Full disclosure: I’m originally from Iowa. Ha

15 Likes

The snake continues eating its own tail.

12 Likes

Full disclosure: I’m originally from Iowa. Ha

BIG CORN SHILL!

You also left off popcorn. But, seriously, I’m from Texas. You can’t eat TexMex food without corn tortillas and masa. And then there’s street corn bowls, with the weird sour cream and all the cheese and spices and oh my god it’s so delicious.

13 Likes

“Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner,”

This is an absolute indicator of A-level quackitude, and any advise given by such quack may be safely "Thrown Out Now!!

18 Likes

Sounds like someone failed their Functional Medicine Certification boards :wink:

18 Likes

The new(ish) SuperSweet (tm?) sweet corn has twice as much sugar as sweet corn used to have.

Full disclosure: Grew up on a corn/soybeans farm, also regularly traded machinery used by sweet corn growers, also love to eat that super sweet sweet corn.

2 Likes

Interesting. Well I know it’s definitely possible to modify or breed nearly all the nutritional value out of a vegetable. (I’m looking at you iceberg lettuce.) I still would contend sweet corn in vegetable form isn’t a threat to Americans’ health. No one is getting fat or getting diabetes from eating too much corn on the cob. Ha.

6 Likes

Since when is corn a vegetable? As far as I know it’s a type of grain, and as such no more a “vegetable” than wheat, barley, rice, or millet are “vegetables”.

6 Likes

Came here for this. Corn is not even a vegetable.

EDIT: A quick google tells me I’m wrong, but my heart tells me I’m right.

5 Likes

It’s a vegetable, a fruit, and a grain. It’s a miracle!

11 Likes

I think it kinda depends. Yeah it’s a seed. And technically if you get the kind used to feed animals and make corn by products it is a very hard, un-vegetable like seed that you can’t easily eat. But sweet corn is very vegetable-like and not similar to most grains at all. Next up- is a tomato a fruit and is a peanut a nut.

2 Likes

Well, if you say “harvested for eating ⇒ vegetable”, then pretty much anything botanical on the dinner table is a “vegetable”. I refuse to consider apples or hazelnuts vegetables, though.

5 Likes

I feel like people who don’t farm or garden often don’t quite understand this but different types of corn are very different: the 3 on the left of this image are much more grain like, and sweet corn is more edible. The one called “dent corn” here is what covers most of American farmland and is used for feeding animals and processing into syrup and meal. Although if you dry out sweet corn and toast the kernels in oil they make a delicious sort of crunchy snack image

12 Likes

There is a variety of chilli pepper that can be eaten like a fruit (it’s very sweet, and has no heat). I can’t remember what it is called though.

ETA: it’s called Sukari

6 Likes