The chumbox's favorite vegetable-hating doctor tracked down

I’m just the messenger, man. The term means what it means.

1 Like

I demand more Dune references!

17 Likes

I swear I’m not from the corn council.

3 Likes

My ex-wife bought some fancy organic popcorn with multi-colored kernals. She was disappointed it all popped white.

6 Likes

Yeah, but what does your gut say?

7 Likes

Speak for yourself, bud. You have no idea the lengths I will go to in my quest for fresh sweet corn at the peak of harvest.

3 Likes

I feel really dumb: I’ve wondered for years* why it was called “dent corn” but (never having seen a picture) it never occurred to me that the kernels themselves might just have… a dent. Flint corn, I always just figured was called that because it’s hard; popcorn and sweet corn are pretty self-explanatory.

*Usually while I was in the car (I do a LOT of my wondering there), which is why I never got around to Googling it.

3 Likes

Oddly enough, coming from Iowa and being surrounded by fields of that my whole childhood, I never heard it called “dent corn”. Usually just corn or seed corn, or feed corn. (I didn’t actually work on a farm or anything. Maybe people call it that… this graphic I googled was the first time I saw it). I never heard “flint corn” either. Usually “Indian corn” which I can guess why they might not be using anymore or “ornamental”.

4 Likes

Re: good sweet corn- the rule in our house was that the pot of water to cook it in had to at a boil before you picked the ear. And you cooked an ear, ate it, AND THEN went and picked a second ear to eat next.

It’s important to have standards, people.

3 Likes

They’re generated by a variety of companies, but the largest two are Taboola ($160 million in funding) and Outbrain ($194 million in funding), both founded in Israel in the mid-aughts.

I always block these domains. Why need do I need one more thing to remind me of the stupidity and gullibility of a large portion of the American public.

My first indicator was: he advertises himself using Internet chumboxes.

5 Likes

Especially in its vegetable format.

Robot corn and bear corn should be avoided, though, clearly at all costs.

2 Likes

Corn is a surprise. I guessed potato.

2 Likes

I’d only ever heard the terms “dent corn” and “flint corn” in the context of commodities-futures reportage. As I’ve never been deeply involved in either farming OR commodities trading, they were just words that aroused vague, idle curiosity. It’s surprisingly nice to have that curiosity satisfied.

What about rhubarb?
(Disclosure: I do know the answer).

But what about Barron’s alarming IQ?

1 Like

I think it’s an amphibian.

3 Likes

Time to harvest the pigs.

1 Like

2 Likes

I remember my father, whose only contact with agriculture was my maternal grandfather’s small vegetable garden, being amazed at my grandfather going back out and picking more corn when the first few ears had sat for 10 minutes because the pot was still being used to boil potatoes.

2 Likes

Agree, although sadly the giant corn kernels done this way can sometimes prove expensive if delicious. (Cracked a molar. £350 3D milled crown. Hey ho…)

2 Likes