Check out this recipe for "corn ribs"

Originally published at: Check out this recipe for "corn ribs" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Except for the word “ribs” it seems completely uncontentious. There’s got to be a better name.

6 Likes

Sigh, if you put that amount of sauces and spices on styrofoam it would taste the same. I can guarantee you aren’t tasting any corn at least.

Make it keto or diabetic friendly and then you’re onto something. My problem with most vegan foods is that they tend to make the same mistake that fast food does: make up for the lack of savor/taste by adding lots of carbs to it.

8 Likes

How about just barbecued corn on the cob? I do that (with whole cobs) all the time and it’s a really delicious way to eat corn on the cob. When the corn kernels turn deep brown or even slightly black, you get that Maillard reaction deliciousness with the corn and it’s super tasty. Just a bit of butter and salt (or a bit of soy sauce) is all you need, no need to drown it with sauces and spices like this recipe is doing.

7 Likes

Corn looks like a good idea, as for the blurb about vegan hot dogs being anything but bad for you just stop. Vegan food can be healthy or it can be unhealthy. Vegan food can be yummy or crappy, just like checks notes meat. I’ve had two of the best burgers in my life in one week, one was vegan, one was definitely not. We need to grow (pun intended) from the meat = yummy but bad for you and vegan = healthy and flavorless.

4 Likes

I was trying to be facetious and silly, but your point is valid.

It might be an old bit. To quote Dave Attell, “that joke is so old it can vote.”

You’d expect a joke about vegans to be…fresh.

Thank you, thank you. Try the veal.

9 Likes

Pretty sure referring to these as “ribs” is some sort of a crime in Kansas City.

7 Likes

I’m confused. Does the chef intend that we eat the entire cob, or nibble the kernels off in a more difficult fashion?

6 Likes

It looks like sadness. Sure, a tasty sauce can make anything tasty, but this just reminds me of the sad, sad woman who, with the look of fanatical true belief on her face, told me that her bitter, mouth-desiccating, shriveled kale “chips” were just as good as potato chips. When I asked her when she last had a potato chip, she admitted it had been over a decade. She has a wonderful figure, but no, it’s not a replcement for the real thing, no matter how much those who have gone vegan or cut their calories to near-starvation levels want it to be. Still, might be a nice side dish for the next hog roast.

2 Likes

I saw a video of someone eating a cob the other day - and I have no idea if this was a joke, or if people have figured out how to prepare and eat the cob.

I thought it was mostly undigestable cellulose?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s elote. Although traditionally elote is made with fresh corn as opposed to the dry-ass cattle feed they’re using here. I can’t see how splitting the cob does anything but break your wrists and dry it out further.

This reminds me of my favorite vegetarian/vegan dig (we cook vegetarian a lot in this house and I was fully veg for years, but a good joke is a good joke):

“Vegetarians don’t live longer, they just look like they do.”

IIRC, that was from a campaign by the American Beef Council or similar.

Hi, may I help you!?!

There was a Gates BBQ two blocks away from my first apt in KC. Unfortunately, I was too poor for BBQ back then. :confused:

2 Likes

Exactly, and I’d rather eat a non-dry (■■■■■ is apparently verbotten here) elote that’s been roasted in its husk than some twisted, tortured, air fried quarter of a corn cob.

2 Likes

I believe the joke is on their colon.

(Edited to delete unintentionally offensive statement. My apologies to all.)

These are ribs like buffalo wings are made from buffalo wings. It is not trying to replace the real thing. In my view, any dish trying to replicate meat or dairy fails. But trying to make a fun and tasty dish and calling it ribs is just fine. A bit gross but fine.

I think the hint is in the dish’s name, assuming you don’t eat rib bones! :grinning:

2 Likes

My son does a very similar recipe with the whole cob. It’s delicious, especially when put on a charcoal grill before slathering on the sauce and cotija. Save yourself time, bruised hands, and ridicule on a BB thread, and just leave the cob whole.

I should add that I pretty much loathe eating corn on the cob, but this is truly tasty stuff and worth all the post-meal flossing.

3 Likes

After a couple of people in my life lost some teeth, I came around to cutting the kernels off the cobb, so nobody gets left out of the elote. One of them just started turning it down, I imagine not wanting to say out loud that they could no longer eat it, but I caught up pretty quick and now I cut and serve in a bowl.

5 Likes

Vegetarians, maybe. This recipe has mayo (eggs, if you do it right) and cheese (milk).

3 Likes

You’re dissing kale chips!?!

Lets Fight GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

3 Likes

I call detached pizza crust “pizza bones”. I’m OK with “corn ribs”.

8 Likes

caitlin-doughty-■■■■■

4 Likes