Corn is a healthy vegetable snack, right...?

Originally published at: Corn is a healthy vegetable snack, right…? | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Speaking of strange combinations, has anyone got down with salted peanuts and candy corn yet? I’m not into candy corn on it’s own, but mix it with a healthy amount of salty peanuts and BAM, gestalt.

4 Likes

(I haven’t made this, but there’s peanut butter, so your combo reminded me of it.)

7 Likes

26 Likes

The Cretors stuff is decent – always a sampling favorite at Costco.
The Garrett version is significantly better: cheesier cheese, better caramel/vanilla flavor to the caramel. Grab some next time you’re in Chicago (I think they’re in all the O’Hare terminals, if you’re on a layover).

10 Likes

For anyone who buys them, shake and rotate the bag well to distribute the contents. During shipping, the denser caramel corn finds it way to the bottom so the top is almost exclusively cheese flavor.

7 Likes

I mean, this looks like 'beetus on a plate, but I’d have a nibble.

2 Likes

giphy-2

4 Likes

Corn is a grain, not a veg.

3 Likes

Vegetable doesn’t really have a formal definition.

6 Likes

Can confirm. This is something everyone should try.

And don’t be fooled by blends that are supposedly 1/3 caramel popcorn, 1/3 cheese popcorn, and 1/3 plain, because that’s how to make it cheaply (closer to 1/2 plain). You want a 50:50 ratio of sweet & umami.

5 Likes

Add plain M&Ms and you have a deconstructed Snickers bar.

4 Likes

A grain is the fruit of a grass. The grass is the vegetable. The grain is a mass of starch.

2 Likes

Whatever distinction you are applying, and the distinctions here are usually about cooking. This isn’t a technical term.

The grass portion of corn is inedible. And so not a vegetable in the food sense. Corn grains are commonly described as a vegetable, because they are often cooked fresh as a vegetable.

Outside of a culinary context. All edible plants, or edible portions of plants may be referred to as a vegetable.

2 Likes

My family gave me a bag of this once at a Christmas get-together. I was loathe to try it, but then realized it tastes almost exactly like a Payday candy bar, which I like. Go figure.

3 Likes

Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

3 Likes

Tell me how to puff the stringy third of asparagus. There’s an app for that or something, right? NuSears pressure cooker robotic attachment #20, rated 30 yards? Hydrogen Accessories’ BioSolids SteadiPop 2030.m5? Without steam plant and precautions? I mean, there’s really no “Inedible fiber” it’s just soluble or not so much…

The social asparagus. <—Facebook didn’t reserve it for a new name already, did they?

Basting and grilling does something better? 30 minutes huh? Oh…

Mnom, biochar! The new subtle Asian flavor for Americans merely somewhat Near Froyo Machines.

5 Likes

Every Hipster’s wet dream.

Owning operational 1973 cell phone.

1 Like

Tastes like a Payday candybar. Mmmmmmmm.

1 Like

I didn’t realize that flavor combination was particularly associated with Chicago. Most popcorn shops around here (Cleveland) offer it. Looking at the variant I immediately think of, they now include Chicago in their description, so I don’t know how I’ve missed it. They switch it up by directly applying both flavors to each kernel rather than a mix. Dichotomy Corn 7oz Bag — Campbell's Sweets

1 Like