Cornhole score leads to cornpone scrap

At my house…alcohol is a MUST for throwing bean bags (to be clear we play washers…but same diff).

In the north we call it bean bag toss. Not sure why southerners call it cornhole.

5 Likes

A couple of points.

1. there were no brown people…so of course the Cops WEREN’T called.
  2. What does she mean “We will stop this!” it should have just ended right there!
  3. When these things happen I always think…don’t stop them…let things play out…maybe we get lucky and reduce the surplus population.

Not so much. Mark Twain had Huck Finn mention cornpone in his novel by that name. Let’s see how accurately I remember: “…real wheat bread, too, none of your low-down cornpone.”

3 Likes

I’m originally from the Cincinnati/Kentucky area, where the modern game with its rules and such was really popularized, and we always called it cornhole there. Mostly because it was really funny to talk about cornholing.

That said, my dad absolutely refuses to call it cornhole – “that’s vulgar!” – and insists that we call it bean bag toss in front of the kids.

7 Likes

Aw shucks, c’mon, it’ll be fun! :joy:

4 Likes

Am I the only one out of the loop here? “Game of Cornhole”? Good gawd, I was almost afraid to Google what the hell that was.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking it was an Indiana thing.

2 Likes

It’s a horse shoes variant with bean bags and a tilted board with a hole.

7 Likes

“Alcohol and beanbags do not mix.”

Ancient wisdom never gets stale.

3 Likes

Around here (TN) there is corn in the bag, not beans. And the bag goes in the hole. That’s why.

7 Likes

Oh! Just like corn-in-bag-in-hole!

3 Likes

I thought that the orgy in vegas would involve a lot of cornholing…

OH! The game… Nevermind…

5 Likes

It’s when the announcer says, “Git!” That really sells it.

7 Likes

OK. I thought I understood American slang but apparently…I don’t?

1 Like

Anyone wants to come over and toss my bean bags?

3 Likes

I’ve lived in Pittsburgh for 20+ years. From the time I first heard the term and thought they were making it up, to now-- I still snigger a bit. “Huh huh-- you said ‘Cornhole’”

3 Likes

It’s a stupid goddamn game. You won’t miss anything.

4 Likes

The last time I was back in Ohio for a family reunion, they brought out a cornhole set (“bean bag toss!”) but the kids kept calling it cornhole, because it’s funny. One little girl kept gathering up the beanbags and hugging them, declaring them her “babies”. This all unfortunately culminated in me tossing a beanbag into the hole and one of my nephews yelling “uncle nungesser put babies in my cornhole!”, which is probably the single most awkward thing ever said at a family gathering.

11 Likes

Aren’t kids adorable lol :wink:

2 Likes

1 Like