Counterfeit AirPods CT scanned and compared to the genuine article

Originally published at: Counterfeit AirPods CT scanned and compared to the genuine article | Boing Boing

4 Likes

The Land of Genuine Fakes.

5 Likes

I can’t comment on the utility of the counterfeits(which, if it is compromised, is probably typically let down by esoteric bluetooth fuckery, or inferior noise cancellation, of the sort that cannot be discerned by inspection at this scale); but it seems worth noting that Sam Vimes’ boots didn’t have a tiny irreplaceable li-ion cell installed in either the really nice version or the one with cardboard soles.

1 Like

this reminds me a bit of something that car manufacturers do. I think I heard it about the 3rd generation Ford Focus (he of the famous PowerShit transmission woes). There was a lot of effort put into making the doors feel substantial and close with a firm ‘thunk’, compared to previous generations and other economy cars, in order to make the car feel higher quality. This is definitely observable - my old Scion xB for example sounded like a tin can when you closed a door, whereas our 2012 Focus has a solid thunk and doesn’t feel flimsy. (Ignore the fact that there was a recall for the door latches not latching when closing the door, at your peril.)

Is that wrong to make an economy car’s doors feel substantial? Is it wrong to make headphones feel weightier so they’re more solid? I remember when I think the iPhone 5 came out and it felt weirdly lightweight compared to the earlier models.

There are two major product categories I just won’t shell out for better than mid-range quality; earbuds and sunglasses. The likelihood of loss/breakage vs cost is far, far too wide a gulf for my taste. I don’t want to have a panic attack every time an earbud finds its way into an unknown pocket corner or I leave my glasses at a gas station.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.