Country Music Association rejects the Confederate flag

Once they get rid of Garth Brooks I’ll be happy.

excited shania twain GIF by CMT Artists of the Year

4 Likes

Can’t stand his music, but seems a nice fella.

OMG WTF is she wearing? LOL

10 Likes

I was at his free show in Central Park in 1997. Wasn’t a fan of his music, but free + walking distance from my office was too hard to resist. He put on a good show and I could see why he had crossover appeal. I always appreciate showmanship.

5 Likes

As I recall, he has had songs which were quite explicitly anti-racist.

11 Likes

His song “We Shall Be Free” does include the lines “When the last thing we notice is the color of the skin,/And the first thing we look for is the beauty within” and, later on, “When we’re free to love anyone we choose” which, in 1992, was controversial enough that some radio stations refused to play the song.

He’s credited his half sister and former bandmate Betsy Smittle with helping to inspire it. She was a lesbian and often performed at LGBTQ events before her death from cancer in 2013.

I’m not a fan and there may be other reasons to dislike him but he did some good.

17 Likes

Good. I still think he’s shit but thousands of his fans clearly disagree. :woman_shrugging:t3:

7 Likes

I was pretty sure he died sometime in the early 2000’s, myself. The person that sang Uneasy Rider wouldn’t even speak to whatever inhabited that shambling xenophobic reactionary corpse that tottered around for the last 20 years or so it was moving around.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.