Couple crashes plane in ocean and manages to take video while waiting for rescue

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/21/couple-crashes-plane-in-ocean.html

2 Likes

“…landed in the water.” The word he’s looking for is is “Ditched.”

11 Likes

I hail a cab with more energy than the passenger showed waving at the rescuers.

15 Likes

So very chill for just ditching into the ocean. Calm, cool, collected almost like they had skills.

They should be very thankful that they did not crash into the Atlantic this time of year…

Lots of sharks tracking up and down the East Coast right now.

4 Likes

You gotta seize the opportunity when it happens, I suppose. This could be worked into a whole new reality tv program; “Dunk a Celebrity!” One celebrity, one camera operator, one wonky airplane, one ocean. Who wins? Depending on the celebrity, everyone. Everyone wins.

6 Likes

Unreal what people will do for YouTube views.

4 Likes

The moment that struck me was when the rescue copter appeared, rather than just film it, the gentleman filmed it over his shoulder, changing position to make sure his face was always in the frame.

12 Likes

Episode 1: Klaus Kinski

2 Likes

Pretty much a new definition of ‘first world problems’.

4 Likes

It makes me miss the survival show, The Raft.

3 Likes

Now that’s what I call a good life character builder.

1 Like

Tags: LATE STAGE YOUTUBING

3 Likes

Two things: minus points for vertical video turned horizontal, and read the whole Twitter thread, he had been involved in a sketchy rescue in the past. What are the chances the same thing happened again to this guy?

2 Likes

Somewhere, a Smartwater viral-advertising consultant read this, cursed, and flipped his desk over.

6 Likes

I think it’s a question of context: The dog-eat-dog need to get off a noisy sidewalk lousy with other potential – likely aggressive – fares… and a whimsical desire to cease lolling about in gently rolling seas. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That was kind of my thinking too; there was no competition for the rescue vehicle, which was obviously circling them. It might have been different if there were multiple plane crashes competing for rescue.
Hmmm; I may have an idea for a new reality show …

4 Likes

The are sharks around Half Moon Bay right now, fishermen see them every day. Last month there was a great white sighting in the news.

But honestly they usually aren’t very aggressive. I’d worry much more about the meth heads on the beach than the sharks in the water.

1 Like

Did they get some surfing in at Maverick’s while they were at it?

It’s a shame he blew the water bottle placement, I couldn’t read the brand. Maybe it was Evian?

after that motorcycle crash nonsense was wondering if there would be product placement…

we haven’t had a war yet with everyone having smartphones have we, that’s going to get super weird

3 Likes