Cousins or brothers? When identical twins have children with identical twins

That sounds much more likely. Thank you.

1 Like
7 Likes

I think this happened in Houston, Tejas.
https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/hou/590888944.html

Obligatory: SCTV - Identical Bellhops, Cheese Hostesses and OPEC Oil Ministers - YouTube

3 Likes

Cousins, definitely.
Not twins. Identical twins share the exact same genes, fraternal twins don’t. Either way, they share the same birth mother.

Not brothers, either, unless one of 'em gets adopted by the other mother.

By their logic, they could say they are fathers & mothers of both children…
And wouldn’t that open a can o’ worms.

2 Likes

“Trillian, this is my semi-cousin Ford who shares three of the same mothers as me. Hiii.”

10 Likes

So to summarise: not genetically identical, not twins, and not brothers…

<why you killjoy, science > :wink:

4 Likes

No, but given their close ages and genetic makeup they are essentially medically indistinguishable from fraternal twins.

4 Likes

4 Likes

That’s reason enough in itself to promote one of them.

1 Like

The birth of a Talking Heads video.

1 Like

Stuff white people like, I guess.

& @Otherbrother

You have my blessing.
Now get on with it.

4 Likes

Cash up front.

3 Likes

Will you accept NFTs?

5 Likes

Thanks to your Terminator 2 screenshot, I realized that the twins playing the guard are the same twins in Gremlins 2. There’s probably something synchromystic about twins appearing in two sequels in two adjacent years.

3 Likes

Er, yes we do—what we don’t do is get exactly 25% from each grandparent

It’s analogous to how if we shuffle two half-decks of cards together and cut the combined deck in half, we always get exactly half of the cards (by definition) but we can get more or less than a quarter each of the original decks

2 Likes

Not exactly. Everyone gets more than 50% from their mother & less than 50% from their father. You only get mitochondrial dna from your mother.

Some people have some degree of trisomy’s and often the second copy is inactivated to some degree. Translocations occur. Transpositions. Inversions.

It used to be assumed that mosaicism was rare. Now the thinking is that most people have some small degree of it. There are genetic mutations in most everyone, including identical twins.

I’m sure there’s other things that don’t come to mind immediately.

10 Likes

Damn. It’s too bad that they didn’t each have twins and when those twins grew up they could marry twins.

1 Like

It’s not too late! They can keep trying.
I wonder if there’s a “Twinder” dating app :joy:

4 Likes