Cousins or brothers? When identical twins have children with identical twins

Apparently a decent number of twin couples meet and marry each other at the annual festival in Twinsburg Ohio.

7 Likes

Hockey games - weddings - it’s all the same.

4 Likes

There’s a weird bit buried in the article:

They had a joint wedding on August 5, 2018, live in the same home in Virginia and are now expanding their families together.

[emph. mine]
I can’t imagine having to share a house with either of my brothers, let alone if both of us had families as well.
(I started getting on much better with my brothers as soon as I left home and didn’t have to share anything with them).

2 Likes

The inverse rule of distance and sibling relationships-the farther apart you live the better along you get.

1 Like

Is it a duplex?

2 Likes

First off, I like this analogy, as long as it’s only applied to grandparent-and-further-back generations, because it isn’t true at the parental level, as @KathyPartdeux has already mentioned.

But it is accurate at the grandparent (and beyond) level, which is a weird fact that is not well known.

Now that millions of people have done DNA testing, we’re seeing that in a small (but not ‘rare’) percentage of the population, they receive approximately 50/50 from their parents but not necessarily 25/25/25/25 from their grandparents. In a number of cases, one grandparent’s DNA simply doesn’t pass down equally.

At the grandparent level, there should still be significant and recognizable DNA segments. It may be that occasionally all the segments of DNA inheritance from one grandparent are broken up to such a small amount – under 5 cMs, say – that we can’t assign them to a specific ancestor. But again, at the grandparent level, that’s weird. It should be too recent to wash out like that.

So at this point, we don’t know why it happens, but we’ve seen that it does happen often enough to keep in mind.

8 Likes

These babies may be genetically close like brothers, because the couples are kind of a clone of each other. That being said, there is no freaking way these babies “share the same DNA”, because the odds of they sharing the same exact subset of their parents’ DNA is the same that two non-twins siblings have identical DNA (approx. 1.4e-14, for comparison 7.5e9 humans alive and 1e11 humans lived so far).

One can say the “Same exact DNA created both” and they look alike, maybe not for long.

1 Like

Might be a twin home - they’re very popular in my area. The difference between the two is a twin does not share the lot.

1 Like

TIL what a twin home is. I’ve never heard the term before. Thanks!

2 Likes

Is that what I would call a semi-detached townhouse?

3 Likes

Townhouses in this area come in groups of about 4-6 units. Only the end units are semi-detached, the rest have common walls on both sides. Twins are just two homes.

2 Likes

I think semi-detached (ETA ‘as a term’) is still a regional thing. I appraise property in Portland, OR and we have a lot of new properties (in the city, especially) that meet the definition of semi-detached, but they’re still just called rowhouses by both laypeople and people in the real estate industry.

3 Likes

Yup, that’s what I mean!

They’re very common in Britain, but I used to live in an area in Chicago that had a lot of British influence in the architecture. Although, as @DougB points out, most people in the Midwest who aren’t used to the British term just call them townhouses or rowhouses.

3 Likes

Is that what they’re calling it now?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

I mean, I’m a semi-detached twin but only in the sense that I sometimes try to remain aloof and objective.

3 Likes