Cover from 1922 zine called The Flapper

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/21/cover-from-1922-zine-called-the-flapper.html

5 Likes

Prevost is cool (despite the sad ending).

Nell Shipman is my silent era hero:

I’m dropping it here because where else am I going to get this kind of tangent to work off of? Prevost (born Bickford) had a great career but ultimately became a victim of Hollywood process (“too fat”, “too old”, etc. bleh!) and that sucks. Shipman’s career wasn’t as epic in fame. But as her career moved on, she moved to being the storyteller rather than the story-told.

Props to both of them.

9 Likes

Marie P is the subject of a Nick Lowe tune that is in unusually poor taste (no pun intended). (Edited for clarity.)

5 Likes

Geese are mean. Domesticated geese even more so than wild ones. Wild geese at least have a little fear of humans.

People in 1922 would know that. In 2022 for a similar effect we’d use a picture of an alligator on a leash.

4 Likes

I’m fairly certain that a gator can do far more damage to a human than a goose, tho.

7 Likes

Nice to see stories like these. I collect antique postcards of long forgotten actresses after discovering a site called stagebeauty and I realized how sad it is that all of these people have been forgotten even though in their day they were well known celebrities. I have many autographed cards that I treasure and I’m always reading books and biographies about them. Among my favorites are Marie Studholme, Lily Elsie, Ada Reeve, and Kate Cutler. I try to keep their memories alive at least for a little bit longer.

9 Likes

Came here to share the same. It’s one of my fave Nick Lowe songs (despite the the subject matter): https://youtu.be/G_-Gxl1iSL4

1 Like

Well, that kind of arcane candle-holding will serve you well here. Welcome to BBS!

2 Likes

Much obliged. Been meaning to sign up for some time and this gave me the excuse.

2 Likes

Is there a way we could sort of find out…? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

“She was a winner - who became the doggie’s dinner”

2 Likes

Not for Old Fogies!

4 Likes

I’d be much obliged if you removed yourself and that goose from my lawn!

2 Likes

4 Likes

wow, that term is much older than i expected!

1 Like

Remind me of the Félicien Rops’ painting.

1 Like

If anyone here is a fan of gilded age slang (as I am) I highly recommend the movie Brick. It’s a noir teen murder mystery written entirely in poetic flapper slang, it’s just the right amount of self-aware, and it’s amazing. Plus Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

7 Likes

The kids were alright.

How did this become the Nick Lowe thread?

:notes:We’re in the heart of the city
Where the alligator roams :musical_note: :musical_note:

2 Likes