Covers of "I'm A Believer"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/05/covers-of-im-a-believer.html

3 Likes

this was out of print for a long, long time, but just recently got a 3 disc collection re-issue

3 Likes

Monkeys perhaps?

And pay no attention to the organ grinder.

5 Likes

I always associated this song with The Monkees. I don’t think I ever realized Neil Diamond performed it, never mind wrote it.

Edit: Yeah, it was written by Neil for the Monkees so technically I think their version is OG and Neil’s is a cover:

I agree though that the Hammond organ is an essential component.

19 Likes

I’m NOT a believer, right now.

5 Likes

Cheer up, sleepy Jean!

11 Likes

Might be in there somewhere or not…
3 Likes

The last train to Clarksville for you Mister / Mrs.

9 Likes

Some Monkees trivia here … did you know the first use of a Moog in a pop song was the Monkees with Nightly Daily? Also Paul Beaver did the programming who is also worked on the Main Street Electrical Parade.

4 Likes

For the longest time, I thought the lyric was…

“…disappointment honey on my dreams…”

So “Disappointment Honey” was often what covered unsatisfactory things in my life, up to and including the fact that that is not, in fact, the lyric.

8 Likes

Monkees forever!

That and the outdoor ice-skating rink in my hometown park, with the music blaring from a few speakers high up on poles at the edges of the rink, skating round and round with one’s fellow sixth-graders, too young to really understand the social scene but feeling the excitement of it all, periodically going into the warming house to put more money in the juke box to hear it yet again…To this day I can’t hear the Monkees’ version without those memories arising, most particularly brought on by the organ :smiley:

6 Likes

please forgive me.

2 Likes

Perhaps my favourite version. Robert Wyatt. When he sings I couldn’t leave her if I tried, I really believe it.

7 Likes

I, shall not :frowning:

1 Like

Good album title.

3 Likes
1 Like

The fact that Vic reeves wasn’t the first link is a travesty.
Vic reeves and emf

5 Likes

Not even a Daydream Believer?

(ETA @mocon may have beaten me to it on an incidental technicality)

1 Like

It sounds like a demo for The Monkeys.

1 Like

If anyone is interested in covers of other Monkees songs, there’s this album/CD:
Here No Evil

Full disclosure, a friend of mine was involved in the production.