Coveted California 'CASH' vanity plate goes on the market for $2 million

Originally published at: Coveted California 'CASH' vanity plate goes on the market for $2 million | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Huh. So why does the pic show it on a Mustang?

7 Likes

Hold up. There’s a whole website that generates income by auctioning off personalized license plates?

facepalm-eyeroll

10 Likes

I had the same question, except I see a Ferrari.

ETA:
lol. Sorry! I was second-guessing.

mustanglogostickerironon_400x copy

7 Likes

Of course there is. If something can be commoditized it has been

2 Likes

the jungle book capitalism GIF

5 Likes

I believe that is a Ferrari logo

@anon33932455

robot graffiti GIF by Coca-Cola
(ETA I do like that apparently we both had to look it up. Not knowing for sure off the top of our heads speaks well of us, I think)

4 Likes

Ah thanks! I didn’t realize Ferrari also uses a Furious Horsey logo. I’m not much of a sportscar/phallic symbol fetishist.

5 Likes

Apparently horses are very big in that sector:

(for certain values of “interesting”)

5 Likes

Me, either. That’s why I wrote, then deleted. Then undeleted. I should STFU and go back to sleep.

4 Likes

You’d think they’d have gotten over the transition from horse-drawn buggies by now.

6 Likes

I think the enthusiasts would say that it is because of the use of the term horsepower.

I think that it is actually because they are trying to manifest another aspect of male horses.

Unsuccessfully

ETA: Edited to remove what, on reflection, I decided was an offensive use of a term for an indigenous practice

5 Likes

Huh. And here I was thinking It’s because they’re closet Osmonds fans.

2 Likes

Google says it a more interesting story.

5 Likes

I wonder what Team Actuary says about this particular license plate with regard to auto insurance. It’s a pretty niche case; but I’m guessing that it doesn’t just scream “low cost and low risk”.

2 Likes

Keep it. This is the only plate I’d want.

Seen IRL a few months ago.

5 Likes

That may be the most horrible thing I’ve ever heard. I could wind up hating you forever for that.

2 Likes

Youtube Evil Smile GIF by Best.Cover.Ever

2 Likes

I am suddenly interested in selling my personalized plates too.

2 Likes

You can sell personalized plates in California? When I was there, I was under the impression this could not be done, because you can’t transfer a plate without selling the car, you don’t get to keep the plates when you get rid of a car, and you can’t transfer plates from one car to another unless you own both cars. I know people do all these things sometimes, but I was told it isn’t legal to do any of them. I would have liked to keep the last vanity plates I had when I lived there, but there appeared to be no legal way to do that.

4 Likes