COVID-19 isolation activities

This. Many people compost coffee grinds. I was DUMPING them in the garden. The leach from it is still coffee, full of acid. DERP. ;/

6 Likes

How is it done?

Ah ha! Thanks. I’ve considered composting again, but it was a pain in some ways. Especially our huge local tree rat population.

5 Likes

It is. Plus it stinks and like you said, who wants to feed all those animals? But it’s a good thing to do with the waste instead of landfilling it. One can get good compost out of coffee grinds - it just needs plenty of other material in there, and needs time to leach out the acids and oils.

As if I’m the sudden expert now on coffee composting. Right, I just learned of this last night after wondering why my basil keeps dying and finally having the eureka facepalm ---- ohhhhh I’m poisoning my plants dammit.

5 Likes

Ordered!

THANK YOU

2 Likes

Our local recycling/garbage purveyor/remover offers composting bins for yard and food scraps.

They compost it and then use it in the county parks and medians. I believe that a few times a years they offer free composted soil/loam/whatever if you come and pick it up.

That is where my coffee grounds go.

7 Likes

A process of bring the seedlings outside for a while, and bringing them back inside later. You start on the first day with 30 minutes in a shaded spot. Each day you increase the amount of time they are left outside exposed to the wind and sun by 30 minutes or an hour. After about a week they can be left out overnight. If you dont do this you can kill the seedlings.

Peas and beans hardening off.

6 Likes
10 Likes

Makes sense?

(For those of us who stay on Fbook for relatives, etc.)

6 Likes

Thanks! We have a giant lily that we want to plant outside soon, it is currently in the planter and has already sprouted leaves. Supposedly it can grow 4 meters tall and the bulb is ridiculously huge. I don’t want to ruin it.

2 Likes

Used coffee grounds have a ph well over 6 (Starbucks grounds are supposed to be over 6.8). This won’t acidify your soil.

1 Like

What’s “brokernewswire”?

1 Like

When I get my kit, I am going to test this H0/Ha.

2 Likes

It is one of those new products that tastes like spam.

5 Likes

Ah, I thought I could smell cured pig lips.

2 Likes

Wanted to share this. A colleague who teaches Pre-k in NYC made these puppet shows at home for his students. They are a genuine effort to tackle both being away from his students and dealing with the feelings of being home. Also they descend into madness in a pretty fun way

4 Likes

Never occurred to me that it might ‘survive’ the composting process as something problematic for any plants. I compost some but throw most in the flowering bushes, simply because it didn’t seem ideal to have wet coffee grounds making up 30% of the input.

3 Likes

“Don’t shoot, I’m with the band!”

1 Like

5 Likes