COVID-19 isolation activities

6 Likes

Virtual fight clubs. I wonder what the rules are?

4 Likes

14 Likes

Why look, it me!

5 Likes

If I had enough yarn, I’d do it…

5 Likes

12 Likes

Was going to say that something about bare ass but…

Costumes in a comic book will be considered to be acceptable if they fall within the scope of contemporary styles and fashions.

http://cbldf.org/comics-code-revision-of-1989/

4 Likes

BBC Radio 4 Extra is rerunning OG Whose Line Is It Anyway? from 1988.

You don’t need a VPN to hear Stephen Fry rapping.

5 Likes

More fun with Zoom settings. I set the background to a still image of my study and just keyed out my skin color so I could show up to class as the Invisible Man.

24 Likes

How’s your maniacal laughter to go with that?

5 Likes

I would love a tutorial in that, not for any of my meetings but to totally impress my kids!

7 Likes

It’s pretty easy:

1. Capture a still image from your webcam with you out of frame (you can use Photo Booth on a Mac, I’m sure that there’s similar software available for PCs)
  2. In Zoom, use the “Choose Virtual Background” feature in Video Settings.
  3. Click the plus sign to add your own custom background and choose the still image from your webcam
  4. Check the “I have a green screen” box. There will be a small colored box near the bottom right of your video preview window where you can set it to key out a specific color. Click that, then click on a part of the video with your skin. It helps if you’re kind of uniform in color (i.e. no bright lipstick)
  5. The effect works best if your clothes are as different from your skin color as possible, so blues or greens are ideal (this is the same reason blues and greens are usually used for chromakey effects)
11 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

Boy that looks like you’d be better off with python.

It resembles the mess you get when you try to batch script something of that nature on windows instead of using Powershell.

2 Likes
1 Like

Welcome to the virtual stage of the Opera and Ballet. Here you can watch and listen to performances whenever you like.
Set the stage in your living room!

2 Likes

Thank you!

And here are the links for the two parallel versions of “Frankenstein” at the National Theatre (UK), the first with Benedict Cumberbatch as the Monster and Jonny Lee Miller as Frankenstein, and then the opposite:

https://youtu.be/tl8jxNrtceQ

(Not sure why the first one didn’t one-box. The link is correct.)

6 Likes

For any software defined radio geeks: GRCon 20 is all online this year and the talks will be streamed free.

This years 2020 GNU Conference is to be the 10th one ever held and was supposed to take place in Charlotte, NC. However due to the ongoing pandemic the organizers have now decided that it will be held entirely online this year. The starting date is September 14 and the talks and events will probably run for several days. All talks will be streamed for free, however, registering for US$50 will get you access to the live workshops and other events.

3 Likes

공을 플레이! gong-eul peullei!

Good old RTL-SDR sticks. I have a couple of Raspberry Pi 3 setups cranking away, one with rtl_433 picking up a couple of temperature/humidity sensors in my house and a Sense Hat for barometric pressure, and the other has a pair of SDR sticks picking up railroad communications and end-of-train telemetry.

I’ve heavily hacked my copy of rtl_fm for scanning purposes, to show me what frequency is being received and display a note on who it belongs to. The EOT decoder is my own work, and I’m not distributing it to anyone. It uses a signal processing library to decode the AFSK signal and another library for handling the error correction.

1 Like