Crayola now has a line of gender-fluid makeup

CUTE!!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Because sex and gender are different things, so language has become more nuanced.

4 Likes

I worry for those who never cared to color inside the lines…

7 Likes

“And no, you can’t just use real crayons as makeup. They’re not “designed, tested, or approved” for that purpose, according to the crayon giant’s website.”

I’m going to guess that their makeup crayons will be more expensive than real crayons. Given that – and the convenience of perhaps already having real crayons – children (if they haven’t yet) will try to use their real crayons as ‘play’ makeup after seeing Crayola’s makeup (however dicey the results, and in spite of any Crayola warnings).

1 Like

Unisex is literally agender or gender neutral if you prefer. While I agree that language becomes more nuanced, I feel like this is more about a misunderstanding than an increase in nuance.

3 Likes

That’s kinda the problem. One minute you’re doing winged eyeliner, then one little slip and it’s a Batgirl mask. Until November.

15 Likes

Sharpie makeup: “I guess I’ll just identify as a raccoon for a while.”

11 Likes

So, it comes in the colors pretty much all the drug-store variety makeup brands produced in the mid-80’s. OK then.

14 Likes

Thank you! <3
The white/silver was a real pain; it’s so goddamn thin.
It took three coats to get a good finish and there’s still some tiny bubbles on the right hand one. へ( ಠ ㅂ ಠ )へ

3 Likes

Well yes, but it’s crayons and it’s cute and whimsical and apparently I’m a sucker for that.

2 Likes

“what’s that light mean?”
“gender fluid is running low. Better stop at the next station, we can get slurpees too.”

13 Likes

But will it be as difficult to get out of your eyebrows as lipstick?

Don’t judge me, I was young and needed the Halloween candy.

7 Likes

and yet they don’t list any of the makeup in the “Men’s” category on their site, and none of the photos i’ve seen of the product feature any males wearing it.

Uh. I accidentally put gender fluid in the wiper fluid reservoir one time. HUGE mess.

3 Likes

It is listed under “face and body” in either gender menu.

9 Likes

Actually you can find some of it there. I checked because I too was curious:
http://us.asos.com/men/new-in/cat/?cid=27110&currentpricerange=5-740&refine=attribute_900:4029

Though oddly only those six items show up.

2 Likes

True, unisex succinctly describes non-gendered and other terms that are commonly used. Additionally unisex has been used for quite a long time and i think it has the advantage of not being a charged word. Some people wouldnt think twice about it but would be triggered at hearing non-gendered.

1 Like

I’m not convinced that avoiding ‘triggering’ such people is actually an advantage. If seeing the phrase ‘non-gendered’ being used makes them uncomfortable while the word ‘unisex’ does not, I would suggest they could benefit from examining the views they hold.

3 Likes

Unisex still has the word “sex” in it, implying that sex and gender are synonymous. Gender fluidity is about taking up whatever gender presentation you feel like at any given moment which could be woman, man, or gender non-conforming in whatever way you feel comfortable.

3 Likes

I don’t particularly care if they get triggered or not, just saying that Unisex has that advantage of already being an established word

1 Like