Crazy photo: Wild sheep with insanely overgrown wool sheared of its 78 pound sweater

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/02/25/crazy-photo-wild-sheep-with-insanely-overgrown-wool-sheared-of-its-78-pound-sweater.html

4 Likes

community-shirley-annie-awwww

6 Likes

I’m no farmer but I’m guessing livestock sheep have been bred to do this. I can’t imagine a wild sheep (or their sheep ancestors) could survive like this.

9 Likes

For context, the average sheep fleece is about 7lb/3kg. Even at the top end, a large good quality merino ram might produce 22lb/10kg fleece per year.

After being washed and scoured, a fleece can lose about 50% of the weight when dirt, vegetable matter and lanolin washes away.

6 Likes

Wool you just look at that? :relaxed:

6 Likes

Exactly. Also, this is why domesticated sheep need to have their tails bobbed (“docked”)-- in the wild they do not have long tails, and the long tails cause (ahem) defecation problems you really don’t want more details on.

3 Likes

Imagine being killed suffocated by your own hair?

I haven’t been to a hairdresser since March 2020, so that’s certainly how I feel.

waits for rimshot

crickets

4 Likes

I want a high school type drama where Baarack used to be the high school nerd but over summer he gets this amazing hair cut and he goes back to school after break and all the other students are like ‘wtf who is this handsome man’ and he becomes the high school star but at the end of year formal SURPRISE - it is I, Baarack, the nerd you bullied for my long locks and the students all learn a lesson about not judging a book by its cover.

4 Likes

This needs to be a movie starring this sheep now.

3 Likes

I’m surprised the article didn’t mention the sheep’s last name, Obaama.

OK I have no idea if that’s the sheep’s last name, if sheep have last names, etc., but it should be, IMHO.

4 Likes

I’m imagining that you are delivering the ‘line’ in a high and whiny Seinfeld voice so:

Scrubs__rimshot__crickets

6 Likes

78lb. Wool Sweater is going to be the name of my hardcore Weezer cover band.

/yeah, it’s been a while since I made that kind of joke. Sorry

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.